1965 9.5 HP Checklist

brianwrites

Seaman
What are some items I should examine to ensure my motor is running well? I figure compression test is at the top of the list. What about examining the water pump and impeller? I opened the top and was AMAZED how clean it was to be 50 years old. Any advice on checking the water pump and impeller. My manuals have not yet arrived. Thanks for any advice.

Brian

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1965 9.5 HP Checklist

What are some items I should examine to ensure my motor is running well? I figure compression test is at the top of the list. What about examining the water pump and impeller? I opened the top and was AMAZED how clean it was to be 50 years old. Any advice on checking the water pump and impeller. My manuals have not yet arrived. Thanks for any advice.

Brian

The water pump should be changed every couple years. The impeller is cheap. Drain your oil and see if any water is in it. Check for good spark on both plugs.

Rick.

Captain

Wouldn't hurt to clean your points and re-gap the to .020 and check your plugs as well. Plugs are .030. I would never take the time to pull the leg without just installing a new impeller unless I knew it was less than two years old. Best of luck. Rick.

hoytvectrix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, if it was sitting around for a little while, clean and rebuild carb. I had to do that to mine to get her to run right