Steering Stiff on Force 120 O/B

shane01101

Cadet
I have a 19.5 ft 1990 bayliner capri and the steering on my boat is a little stiff. Turning to right is stiff but turning to left is not so hard. I am hoping I can fix steering by cleaning the steering cable. I have never done this and wanted some feedback on what to do. Is this easy to do and anyway I can damage cable? Or any real helpful tips? I got all my info from video I am attaching...

So what I have researched on how to clean steering cable is..
1) I unscrew the cable on both sides of tilt tube
2) Clean inside house of steering cable
3) Use White Lithium grease and give new coat to inside and outside
4) Use a new Drag link Lock nut to re attach and make tight sealed connection
Questions??.....
Is White-Lithium Grease a good choice and how much should I buy? How do I find correct size Drag Link Lock nut? What do I use to clean inside housing of steering cable that atatched to engine? Do I clean actual steering cable or just grease it? Im going to buy stuff I need off ebay or maybe even marine store if not costly but it usually is alot higher than ebay on prices.

I found only 1 video off youtube on the process but it does not show you how it is just basically a quick summary but good info.

Vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IucARiVT0JE

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering Stiff on Force 120 O/B

That a good start.Get a tube brush and hook it to a drill.Then WD-40 and go to town.
To help with steering.If it turns hard to the left then the exhaust snout should be turned to the left.Hard to the right then turn it to the right,J

shane01101

Cadet

Do I clean the actual steerin cable if it is dirty or just inside the tilt tube? Also I could use WD40 instead of hgh grade white lithium grease? And the video I had attached said I need to replace drag link lock nut when reattaching steering cable, are most of those the same size for outboards?

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can you remove the steering cable from the tilt tube. I couldn't on my boat unless I slid the motor over so I didn't and just cleaned the entire assembly as much as possible. I extended the cable to its furthest point (turned steering wheel all the way to starboard and then back while cleaning any corrosion/old grease etc., and cleaned out the tilt tube with a tube brush but couldn't get all the way through. Then applied white lithium grease liberally to everything. No problems since. If your tilt tube has a grease fitting on it, I would not recommend using it. Not sure why its even there. When I first bought the boat and went through it, i greased through that fitting and jammed up the tube with grease which made for stiffer steering.

Jerry is right on, may not be your issue if one side is easier to turn than the other. Move your exhaust snout.

Good luck

shane01101

Cadet

Now that I look at it, it seems it would be hard to get to. Also my exhaust snout is damaged a part of it broke off and the snout is turned to the left all the way. If I center it will that help with my steering issue? I will post a few pics of what I see

100_0666.jpg
tilt stube and steer cable

100_0673.jpg
Some Damag to xhaust snout

100_0674.jpg
Screw undrneath exhaust snout

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You have less room than I do. You probably won't be able to remove the cable from the tilt tube. Try moving the exhaust snout to center and test it, you may need to readjust. That broken piece may also have something to do with it. You can probably find a replacement on ebay.

shane01101

Cadet

I moved to allignment to center and it didnt really help at all if anything might of made harder to turn on side that wasn't so hard to turn. What should I try and do now? I dont want to buy the exhaust snout unless it will make a difference in steering. I looked on ebay and couldn't find nothing. If it is recomended I should buy one then what is name I should search for it by?

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When you have the boat on the trailer, can you move the steering wheel in both directions with ease? Should be able to turn with 1 finger both ways. If not, disconnect the steering cable from the steering link arm and try to turn. Does it turn more freely? If so, then try to move the motor to each side to see if its binding.

As for finding a replacement, just keep watching ebay for someone parting out a motor or lower unit. May take a while for one to show up.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Do you have a grease gun? There are lubrication nipples for the steering. There's also one for the cowl latch.