Hit a sand bar

I hit a sand bar yesterday, and now I obviously have a ton of sand coming out of the prop area when I flush the motor and I can hear it behind the prop when I turn it. Should I just keep flushing it until it stops coming out, should I take off the prop. I have never had this problem before. I am just praying that it did not get up in the lower unit. Also after this happened when I got unstuck I tried to start the boat and it made a horrible grinding noise so I opened it up and looked at the starter and the teeth on the bendix gear were all worn down. This is a new starter only about a month old. Can anyone give me some information on if the starter is connected with having sand in the prop or if it is something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hit a sand bar

I would definately take the prop off, there has got to be sand in the cavities on the back. I wouldn't turn it anymore either. The sand will cut your seals and get in the lower unit for sure. If it doesn't leak you may have gotten lucky and got no sand in the LU. You could drain and flush with mineral spirits for piece of mind but if it's in there the only way to get it out is remove and clean.

How can I tell if it is leaking, and how would I drain and flush it with mineral spirits?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

If there is LU lube on the ground below the prop it's leaking. Personally if it was mine and not leaking I would remove the prop and clean it up good and run it. Just want to check the LU lube on occasion to make sure no water is getting in from a bad seal. If you did drain and flush you just remove the drain/fill (bottom) and vent (top) plugs on the lower unit. Let drain and the flush mineral spirits through the vent hole, let drain completly (I usually let it drain for a day to make sure it's dry) and refill. You can drain the lube through a paint strainer and look for any particles as well.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Remove the prop, and rinse the exhaust passage well, to get all the sand out. Drain the gearcase and refill it. Figure out what is worn on the starter and ring gear, and replace the worn parts.

Start the motor on the muffs, and let her idle to make sure all the sand is flushed out and the motor doesn't overheat. Then do a water test at slow-medium-highspeed, carefully monitoring the motor's temp. If it doesn't overheat, you are likely good to go. Monitor for gear lube leaks, like you always should. If the motor overheats, rebuild the waterpump, and check the thermostats for blockage.