84 25 hp runs like crap if it does

lost cause

Recruit
heres the history,i bought it with one coil missing....so i bought one new coil and 2 new plugs ....hook up the new coil it fires right up.....but only on one cylinder on the old coil...after looking around a bit more i see the power pack looks pretty shabby missing a bunch of the seal on the back and the wires looked really cracked.....so i bought a new powerpack hook it up now i have spark on both cylinders.....when it does fire up its popping and back firing just struggling to run......and compresion is good 120 on both carb has been cleaned and checked over......i had the flywheel off and there is some scraping on the haul switch and the other pick up like they were to close ..........so here i am lost about what to do next............any help or info would greatly be appreciated

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 84 25 hp runs like crap if it does

Make sure the flywheel key isn't sheared. I would also get a wiring diagram and check to make sure the cylinders aren't crossed. Then perform the timing procedure according to a manual. The procedure and many other items are also in the "Top Secret" file.

lost cause

Recruit

thanks for the info ill go have a look at the fly wheel key

lost cause

Recruit

yup you were right the key is sheared ill get a new one and see if thats the last of my problems.......thanks again

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Make sure you get the right torque specs for the flywheel.

outlaw241

Petty Officer 2nd Class

look at top secret files an click on points an coils. look at jb's pics. if the coils are not mounted flush with the peace below them could be the reason you sheared the crankshaft key [jb's pics will clear up what i am trying to say]