88 capri 85force motor won't go up or down

mainmanstan21

Recruit
For starters I bought my boat sept 09, and have never owned one before, so I know nothing when it comes to working on them. I've driven it around 10 times with no problems, and now all of a sudden my the trim won't lift the motor up or down. I'm mechanically inclined so I've tried troubleshooting it to find the problem, but havent had any luck. When I hit the switch to go up or down the only noise I hear is what i believe to the be the solenoids clicking. Checked all connections from the switch to the trim and everything seems to be fine. Is it possible that both solenoids to the trim went bad at the same time? Or is the trim motor bad? Anyway at this point I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks

notsunkyet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 88 capri 85force motor won't go up or down

just went though this one lol. the original pump motor on the force was a 3 wire pump and i changed it to a 2 wire... mine was destroyed but if you hearing "clicking... then i woud take the motor off of the pump housing and GENTLY take it aprt and check the brushes, contacts (looks like a set of points on a car) and look for rust or a piece of magnet that may have broke. In my case a magnet cracked and ruined the armeture. I had another motor laying around so i swapped it out no biggie... the hardest thing is if you have to swap over to a 2 wire motor ( read newer) is building the relays to make it work. i found a great example on you tube on exactly how to wire it up and it works like a charm