92 Yamaha VXR650 Stalls after few seconds

Sandman18

Recruit
I have a pair of 1992 Yamaha Wave runners. One is a 650 Waverunner III and the other is a VXR650. I took out the ski last weekend and both were running great. After about an hour the VXR650 started to have an intermitant hesitation. After about 20 mins it got worse till the ski stalled. I added fuel primers to both skis to help with starting. I tried to start it and it would not start. I pumped the primer and it fired right up. But only ran for a few seconds. The more fuel I fed the carb the longer it would run. I towed it back and started checking. I know more about cars then skis. I figured it was the fuel pump in the carb. (the previous owner told me to have that carb rebuilt eventually). I rebuilt it and it is the exact same way. I checked the fuel selector. It workes fine. I can blow fuel through the system from each fuel line (regular and reserve). Fuel line with the fuel filter I can blow fuel through too. But I can't get the carb to pump any fuel. At this point im lost. Any help would be appreciated.

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 92 Yamaha VXR650 Stalls after few seconds

there is a small cone-shaped filter behind the fuel pump on that carburetor.

did you replace it? you problem sounds like it is clogged.

also, your fuel tank should have a check valve - make sure it is working properly

Sandman18

Recruit

I pulled the stainer in the carb out and it was pretty blocked up. I cleaned it out and put it back together and same thing happens. I tried to check the check valve on the fuel tank. I can suck air and blow air through it. Shouldn't it only work one way. And If it is stuck always open wouldn't the jetski still run??

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you have garbage in your fuel lines, you may have filled the strainer back up when you started it.

Replace the strainer, flush fuel lines. I'd go ahead and replace the regular fuel filter as well.

I don't know about the CV being stuck open - they only cost a couple dollars to get one at an auto parts store. Replace it - just be sure to point it in the right direction.