automotive paint?

hi, i was looking at getting my fiberglass boat repainted. the guy who i called said he uses automotive paint with a coat of clearcoat on his boats. whats the advantage of using automotive paint versus marine? im going to have my boat in the water maybe ten times a year. if you wash, and wax it after every outing will the kind of paint that i use matter?

62 pipestone

Seaman
Re: automotive paint?

the only prob is most auto paint is not desined for fiberglass so it will crack. do your resurch and i think there is a base coat/sealer that is made for fiberglass that also works with auto paint.;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

People shoot base coat and clear coat on fiberglass all the time with great results. It is all in your prep.

The largest advantage is the variety of paint colors and remember that future repairs may be a bit harder.

Will this be on a trailered boat or a boat left in the water?

Grot

Cadet

If the Auto paint is a 2 component polyurethane then it will be suitable. This type of paint is often used to paint fibreglass cars as well as "plastic" bumpers.

Bondo

Staff member

the only prob is most auto paint is not desined for fiberglass so it will crack.
Ayuh,... Bullship,.... I completely Agree with Grot,...
I paint barges All the time with Martin Seynour's Prizim line,...
It's a 2-pt poly, single coverage,... Not basecoat clearcoat...
It works Great on both Glass or Tin boats...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

hi, i was looking at getting my fiberglass boat repainted. the guy who i called said he uses automotive paint with a coat of clearcoat on his boats. whats the advantage of using automotive paint versus marine? im going to have my boat in the water maybe ten times a year. if you wash, and wax it after every outing will the kind of paint that i use matter?

Auto paint is fine..however If your going to clear better make sure you have more then "a" coat of it on.

Base coat clear is another issue for boats..think "repairablility" if you run a nail across it at the dock or whatever..your going to be in for some expense ( thats why I like Gel over paint ).

And please dont wax every outing..not needed * In Fact Awl grip marine paint uses a "sealer" and waxing will Void your warranty ( cough there IS a reason for not waxing your boat..ever... ).

YD.

rusobr2

Cadet

you have some excellent points,but not so true anymore yacht dr. i'v been working with the automotive paint lines for over 40 yrs. the new products that are on the mkts. today are awesome to work with,and touch up,or to (spot in) is a breeze ! overall finish should be completed as follows---
1.wash boat good with strong tsp solution (tri-sodium phosphate)
2.repair,and finish off all bad cosmetic areas/sand back area at least a couple in. w/180 or better
3.prime only ! small areas that you repaired w/urathane primer--2 component
4.sand entire boat w/360 or better, including primed areas
5.hand wipe boat w/strong solution of ammonia,and water--wipe dry
6.apply 1 wet coat automotive non sanding--epoxy sealer --2 component
7.apply basecoat of your desired color (note)always tack between all coats of product
8.apply 3 coats of urathane clear--2 component -if need be- finish off with 1500 sandpaper,and buff
9.any repair work can be done by sanding back twice the area to be repaired(rule of thumb is 1 ft', w/1000 paper--basecoat the repaired spot only,and finish off the rest of area you sanded with(spotin)clear

steven

Grot

Cadet

Some of the more exotic base coats still need a degree of skill if a good color match is to be achieved.

62 pipestone

Seaman

[
8.apply 3 coats of urathane clear--2 component -if need be- finish off with 1500 sandpaper,and buff
steven[/QUOTE]

i perfer 3000 grit