Yamaha F115 faint squeal or whistle

coconutkey

Cadet
My 2004 F115 runs fine and has a good cooling water stream. Recently I've noticed a faint high-pitched squeal or whistle coming from the motor after slowing down from speed. After a couple of minutes at idle it goes away, but will return if the thottle is advanced to 11-1200 rpm. I've checked with the motor cover off and the sound is not coming from the powerhead area, but rather somewhere lower down, perhaps at or below the water line. It almost sounds like a slipping belt, but since there aren't any in the vicinity of the sound, I'm puzzled. Could it be related to the water pump or a seal of some sort. I have heard the same sound on an F115 that I rented once and reported it when I turned the boat in but have no idea what it might have been, but suspect it might be relatively common. Anybody else encounter this and what did you do about it?

jiggin joe

Cadet
Re: Yamaha F115 faint squeal or whistle

Am not sure if this would apply to your motor but with my 2 stroke yam there is a bushing that the drive shaft goes through at the base of powerhead. They have been known to squeak or chirp. Easily accessed when the lower unit is pulled for inspection or repair work. Not sure if your setup is same but a possibility.

Hoffmann

Cadet

my 2001 yamaha F100 has same squealing noise?

fbronco86

Cadet

My 2004 F115 runs fine and has a good cooling water stream. Recently I've noticed a faint high-pitched squeal or whistle coming from the motor after slowing down from speed. After a couple of minutes at idle it goes away, but will return if the thottle is advanced to 11-1200 rpm. I've checked with the motor cover off and the sound is not coming from the powerhead area, but rather somewhere lower down, perhaps at or below the water line. It almost sounds like a slipping belt, but since there aren't any in the vicinity of the sound, I'm puzzled. Could it be related to the water pump or a seal of some sort. I have heard the same sound on an F115 that I rented once and reported it when I turned the boat in but have no idea what it might have been, but suspect it might be relatively common. Anybody else encounter this and what did you do about it?

My dads 2006 F115 does the same thing. I have read it could be the timing belt making noise in which there is nothing you can do it. Or its a drive shaft bushing down by the water pump that needs to be lubed? Not real sure I would like to get to the bottom of this issue as well.

Anyone else have any ideas?

coconutkey

Cadet
Confirms my suspicion

Confirms my suspicion

You all are confirming my suspicion that this is a fairly common issue and, hopefully one that can safely be ignored, at least for a while. It is definitely not coming from the timing belt area......it is much lower down from inside the lower cowling near or below the water line. I'm guessing it might be a driveshaft seal that I have seen mentioned in other threads and hoping that it would not be too hard to change out the next time I change the water pump. Perhaps Rodbolt has some thoughts on this since he has obviously seen way more service issues like this than most of the rest of us and likely knows what the most common issues are.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

You need to drop the lower unit and inspect the drive shaft bushing to see if corrosion is causing the bushing to squeeze onto the shaft. If nothing else lube the bushing.

Eagle180

Seaman Apprentice

I've got a 2006 F115 4 Stroke that did this and periodically does the same thing. Found out it was a rubber bushing on the drive shaft at the base of the powerhead that dries up a bit and starts to squeak. I now spray a little silicon lubricant onto the shaft and the problem goes away for several months.

Someone did post to NOT use WD-40, but a Silicon based lubricant!

Here are 2 posts about the same thing I found when I first noticed my noise.

Capt.Bob,
Thanks for the update - since I am not familiar with the 4-strokes, I could not help you with your previous post. But I wanted to pass along something I came across on the maverickboats.com forum today concerning "squeaking" sounds on the Yamaha 4-strokes.
There is another source of squeaking besides the belts. Just below the bottom of the power head the drive shaft has a rubber boot around it.
Evidently on some of the models, after the motor warms up, the friction between the drive shaft and this boot causes a "squeaking" noise. I believe you can see the drive shaft by looking at the front of the motor and with it turned a little to the left or right. Squirt some lubricant where you see the drive shaft at the top of the boot. Corrosion-X was mentioned on the other forum, but I would try a silicone based spray lubricant first - metal rubbing against rubber.

The belt squeek type noise you are hearing is NOT a belt. It's a wiper seal in the leg of the engine. It's nothing to worry about and will not cause any damage to the engine. If you look under the front of the cowling, you'll see an opening where you can see the drive shaft as it comes out of the engine block and down to the lower unit. My F225's had the same noise. I sprayed the shaft while turning and it silenced the squeal.

Knoeller

Recruit

I am the Dad of the Yam 115 2006 4 stroke. Where do I spray this lubricant to ease the squeal exactly? Thanks

Knoeller

Recruit

I am the dad of the Yam 115 2006. Where do I spray the lubricant to ease the squeal?

Eagle180

Seaman Apprentice

Here are a couple of pics.. The shaft right in the middle of the pic. Located at the base of the powerhead. Turn the engine all the way to the left and run the motor with muffs on and you can see this shaft spinning. This is what you will have to spray with lubricant. I've had to do it about 3 or 4 times this year.

Attachments

• IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1370.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 5

Eagle180

Seaman Apprentice

Another pic outlining the shaft...

Attachments

• PICT0063.jpg
    PICT0063.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 14

GoogieMan

Seaman Apprentice

Yamaha aluminum propellers are better than other aluminum propellers because of their precise coordination of Yamaha engines. Their lightweight and lower cost also makes them an excellent choice as a spare propeller, if the primary propeller is accidentally hits an underwater object.

nothing was said here about props buddy. Few to many i think! :D:D

coconutkey

Cadet

I've been trying both silicone lube as well as Slick 50 Teflon lube and neither seems to have any lasting effect. Judging from a search for other threads on this topic, the problem is pervasive with these motors but apparently not serious, just aggravating. The next time I do the water pump I will also see about replacing that seal and hopefully reduce my aggravation level.

pinegolf77

Recruit

Thank you to all who have posted to this thread. I too just notice this exact issue on my new 115 with under 30 hours.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Ive always liked Squealers!!!!

Makee40

Recruit

Hi , I have a 2007 model with 850 hours on it , and this squealing noise started when it was 160 hours old !!!!
Just added some grease to the top of the splined shaft coming from the lower end , up into the engine. this cured it for about 80 hurs or so!!!

happy boating :)
mark.(Gibraltar Europe)

connemaraisland

Seaman Apprentice

Yamaha has an extra bearing surface on the driveshat going from the powerhead to the bottom gearcase. When you pull the gearcase you can see the shiny spot where is is running on the shaft. Yamaha had a tech bulletin on this but the fix is easy. just re-grease this area well and the sqeek will be gone, while you have the case off check the waterpump.- Bob