1977 Johnson 25hp electric start

j1539f

Cadet
Hey guys...one minute this thing fires right up and the next we turn the key and absolutely nothing happens. I'm thinking it needs a new solenoid. Is there a solenoid that fits certain years or do I have to find something specific to this motor. If you could point me to a good website for ordering I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1977 Johnson 25hp electric start

first off..make sure every connection is clean....from the battery to the starter..99% of the time its dirty connections....take off the wires clean them good use a scoth brite pad and clean them up...then try to start..the next thing could be the ignition switch....make sure connections are good....

Make sure sure the controller is in the nuetral position..wiggle it when you try to start it..see if that helps....make sure safety switch is in tite....

now to rule out the starter...hook jumper cables to the starter stud + and the negative to engine ground...then hook to battery see if starter spins ok...

use a voltmeter to check the solenoid....

Iboats sells the solenoids.....ok looked they are out of stock...try NAPA auto parts..they sell them also....

but clean up every thing first and then try it....

Al

Al

j1539f

Cadet

Thanks Al...I'll do all that. If I buy from Napa do I just go in and tell them what I'm looking for? I thought I had read you were never to use car parts on a marine engine...is that the same for an outboard like this?

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

NAPA sells Marine parts....lots don't know it..but they do....just ask is all....after cleaning things up you may not need it....and yes you can use a automotive solenoid..the old ford type...I have seen some posts on here where they used one....

Al

j1539f

Cadet

UPDATE:

I took out the solenoid and cleaned all connections to the solenoid. Popped it back in and it started and had no problems all day. Next morning went to start it and it fired, sputtered and quit, when I turned the key to start again nothing happened. I popped the solenoid back out, cleaned the connections some more then found to other connections to the motor that I had missed the first time. I also disconnected these and cleaned them. Put everything back together and it started no problem the rest of the day.

Question: Does it still sound like the solenoid may be going bad? Will it do nothing one moment then start no problem the rest of the time?

Jeff

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

Not so sure that the Ford-style solenoid is the proper replacement.

Please use the proper parts for replacement. The automotive type might save you a buck, but it is not the correct replacement and could lead to premature failure. Or sparking in a very inapproprate time.

If I remember from my parts selling days, marine solenoids are insulated base, automotive is grounded, then there is the question of continous duty and intermittant duty.