I am really frustrated with outboard mechanics

wishboneZ51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok,

I purchased a 1974 50hp Johnson which I thought was going to be a GREAT addition for me and my family to have hours of fun pushing our family boat on the water!

I have no idea why they are soooo expensive in the begining but they sure depreciate just like anything else in the automotive industry and that is plummiting prices.

So I dont like buying brand new. It is not that I cant afford a new motor because I could. But what happened to living within our means and saving money instead of buying things at outrageoud prices!

The motor has some issues that I am trying to resolve. When I started to investigate this is what I found.

Water spitting out from the spark plugs when I was checking the compression. The compression is 153 and 154. After purchasing some of the needed stuff such as the water jacket gasket, head gasket. I tore down the water jacket plate to find the thermostat was in behond bad shape not to mention stuck open. The high temperature water valve was melted to the spring so that needed to be replaced as well.

Well there had to be a reason why it overheated and caused the head gasket to blow. so I dropped the lower unit to check out the water pump for replacement and lord behold the impellar was missing half of its blades and the other blades had some chunks taken out of it.

So I am explaining this to the parts guy at the marine store and he tells me a different story.

He tells me my head gasket did not blow sense the pressure in the cylinders were at normal range. He then tells me he thinks it is the exhaust jacket gasket or even the inner water jacket plate which is not servicable anymore, they dont make the parts anymore. Then he proceeds to give me an earful how these motors are out dated, ancient thats the word, cant get parts for them, always breaking down and no good. Pretty much making me feel like jargain. I told him that I did not want to pay $4000 + for a motor when my kids dont care and just want to be out on the water.

So what gives, am I putting money into a pile of sinker weight and making some horriable choices here? Please help

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I am really frustrated with outboard mechanics

If you can do most of the repairs yourself, you ain't wastin' a dime! You have a potentially good motor and you can get help here.:)

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

when you buy new there are warranties..when you buy old there still could be warranties depending on where you purchased..but often not and then it becomes "how you purchased the boat"..usually, private sale is "AS IS" condition..more important to get someone who knows this stuff with you when making these types of purchases.

When you picked up the motor did you have a mechanic look it before hand? If not..hate to say..its your fault. If you did, then get a new mechanic..

B.O.A.T (bust out Another Thousand) was not coined becasue boats and repair are cheap. Those of us who have the ability to own own boats do so at an assumed risk..but as mentioned, we know this going in. Also, some of us are more mechanically inclined than others and can do almost everything on our own with a manual or help from the folks here at Iboats.

As to your issue, the impellar is shot..needs to be replaced. You can get a kit I assume for roughly 50 bucks.. if you can install great..if not..then you pay for that...the list goes on and on..

If you are handy enough, with the support here and a good serice manual for your engine...the sky is the limit. not saying you can and will do everything on your own but you can do a whole lot...

In the end..boating is about the experience.. when things go well and is working you and your kids will have a lifetime of fun and memmories..the issues will melt away and you will have a great experience over and over again..

Dont sweat it..have fun..be safe..and get her wet!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Quote: "I am really frustrated with outboard mechanics ".

Well I am an outboard mechanic and I am frustrated with that kind of slamming. Obviously, your water pump is shot. And if it was ran that way and overheated, it certainly would cause the heat damage you describe. And it certainly would damage the exhaust cover gaskets. Not only that, water in the cylinders also gets into the crankcase and rusts the highly polished bearings and crankshaft.

Maybe it's time you quit slamming people that are trying to give you good advice. The advice I just gave you is free. Any complaints?

Disclaimer: I am also frustrated with people that claim to be an outboard mechanic and don't have enough sense to pound sand down a rathole. I worked hard for my credentials.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

Hey F_R...I think your impellar is bad..cuz you are overheating!!;)

I think the OP is generalizing a bit, but is also frustrated with mechanics who are not that good,,,,

Through trial and error i have found some good reliable knowledgable guys..but it took work and unfortunately it does give the wrong impression to the group overall..

I'll shut my exhaust housing now!:p

wishboneZ51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Quote: "I am really frustrated with outboard mechanics ".

Well I am an outboard mechanic and I am frustrated with that kind of slamming. Obviously, your water pump is shot. And if it was ran that way and overheated, it certainly would cause the heat damage you describe. And it certainly would damage the exhaust cover gaskets. Not only that, water in the cylinders also gets into the crankcase and rusts the highly polished bearings and crankshaft.

Maybe it's time you quit slamming people that are trying to give you good advice. The advice I just gave you is free. Any complaints?

Disclaimer: I am also frustrated with people that claim to be an outboard mechanic and don't have enough sense to pound sand down a rathole. I worked hard for my credentials.

Maybe my words are not coming out that good because of my frustration and I apaulogize.

I am a mechanic in automobile's myself as i went to schoolback in the early 90's. I do all of my own work on vehicles and can built just about anything considering the military put me through every welding school there is.

I was not bagging on mechanics, or so I thought I wasn't but maybe I did in my subject heading which I did not catch. It was the salesman which I feel was just wanting to upsell me into a new motor instead of helping me with the one I have.

I am trying to purchase parts for my motor and gather good sound advice thats all. I know the water impellar on my motor is behond shot, it wouldn't be the mechanic or the salesmans fault for that.

All I am asking for is some guidance on weather or not I am dumping money into a sinker.

So once again I appologize for any inconvenience as I can see how mechanics on here might feel like they are being slammed. Oh and thanks for your comments, even though it seems like we may not be getting along, atleast discussing my situation helps me think clearer.

WISHBONE OUT

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

Water spitting out from the spark plugs when I was checking the compression. The compression is 153 and 154. After purchasing some of the needed stuff such as the water jacket gasket, head gasket. I tore down the water jacket plate to find the thermostat was in behond bad shape not to mention stuck open. The high temperature water valve was melted to the spring so that needed to be replaced as well.

Well there had to be a reason why it overheated and caused the head gasket to blow. so I dropped the lower unit to check out the water pump for replacement and lord behold the impellar was missing half of its blades and the other blades had some chunks taken out of it.

Well thats why it was running hot, for sure, good you figured it out.

So I am explaining this to the parts guy at the marine store and he tells me a different story.
He tells me my head gasket did not blow sense the pressure in the cylinders were at normal range.

If the head gasket went, there should be a drop in cylinder pressure.

He then tells me he thinks it is the exhaust jacket gasket or even the inner water jacket plate which is not servicable anymore, they dont make the parts anymore.

This is true for the most part.

Then he proceeds to give me an earful how these motors are out dated, ancient thats the word, cant get parts for them, always breaking down and no good. Pretty much making me feel like jargain. I told him that I did not want to pay $4000 + for a motor when my kids dont care and just want to be out on the water.

Some true, some not, lets face it they don't make money fixing up old motors, they make it on the new ones.

So what gives, am I putting money into a pile of sinker weight and making some horriable choices here? Please help

If it was mine, it would be tore down completely, as FR said there could be rust on the roller bearings/crankshaft, scored cylinder walls, etc and that means it will fail without a rebuild.

If you want to repair, it, many here will help, however, as a heads up, it might be time consuming, hard finding parts, and it might add up to a bigger bill than you want.

jonesg

Admiral

1974 isn't even old.!

My 1959 runs like a clock, the water pump was blown to bits,
a $12 impellor fixed it.

wishboneZ51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You guy's are so awesome you have no idea!!!!

Tonight I took the exhaust water jacket housing and the inner housing off tonight to see if the parts guy was correct. He stated he is almost certain there was a hole in the inner plate that was allowing water into the cylinders. Well there are no holes NONE which is a great thing. IAfter all my yeas of mechanics I was sure the water was coming from the head gasket and from what I can see this at this poit tat is definately the case. So I cleaned up all of the exhaust parts and will take them with me tomorrow when I go pick up the water pump kit with new bolts because two of them broke off. I will also order a couple more gaskets for the exhaust side and the center exhaust rectanguler tube.

What is really fnny is I have the head water jacket plate off waiting for the spring valve kit. I just hand threaded the spark plugs into the motor and the exhaust side is completly open and the engine has great compression with me just turning the startor plate on top. I cant wait to put everyting back together and start this new motor up. We are going to get her to sing.

I will keep everybody updated.

Thanks

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm no mechanic but i get the biggest kick out of bringing back to life old Mercury outboards that were given up on long ago and this all started with the help here on the iboats Johnson forums (these guys are good) and my old 1957' 18hp seahorse. keep at it. it overheated cause of the impeller for sure .these motors were built well old or not