journey continues

graphicjunkie

Seaman
Ok, so the first engine went to the machine shop. Only to find out before we even left that it was worth nothing more than an anchor. The block was cracked too badly to be repaired. Ugh.
So the boat came with the a second long block...also a 4.3L V6, block #14093683 which is a newer one and has a one piece rear main instead of a two piece. This has it's pro's and cons. Complete roller/rocker valve train and the one piece rear main. Down side is that the bolt pattern doesn't match up for the out drive coupler. So now I have to figure out how/where to find the proper coupler. Suggestions? If I can find the right coupler, then I'm all set.

It came with a coupler that looks NOTHING like the one that came out of the boat. The one that came out of the boat looks like this...maybe 2 inches tall.
DSC06537.jpg

The additional one that came with the boat looks like this, and is probably six inches tall...here it is sitting on top of a flex plate and correct flywheel. Not sure what the flex plate is for....but it came with it.
DSC06538.jpg

graphicjunkie

Seaman
Re: journey continues

I found a part shack on line that shows the larger coupler as the correct one...but I have a hard time believing this as in my mind, they should be the samesize. The only difference here is the rear main seal of the crankshaft!

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=167485F

Oh well, I'll get the engine built and address the coupler issue when I get to it.

zbnutcase

Commander

That large one is for a Cobra drive, and as they never made a 1 piece main seal stringer, the coupler you need does not exist! Your only hope it to scour the auto/truck wrecking yards and find (maybe) a rebuildable 4.3 from an '85, the only year a 2 piece main seal 4.3 was made, but the 85 block won't take a roller cam!

graphicjunkie

Seaman

PFFFF.. If I have to, I'll fabricate a mount for the coupler that came off it to mount to that one piece fly wheel.
This is crazy. I have built many engines for the automotive world. I can't believe what a pain in the butt the boat world is.

Is it different with newer boats? Or is this just what to expect across the board?

Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member

Is it different with newer boats? Or is this just what to expect across the board?

Ayuh,... It ain't got much of Anything to do with Boats per'se,...
Chevy went to the 1 pc. rear main in 86,...

Your drive became Obsolete in 86, as it was replaced by the Cobra that year......
Now,... OMC is Completely Obsolete, as they went belly up, over 10 years ago...

Putzin' with that Stringer drive is only goin' to get Worse,... Lot's of parts for it are NLA...

zbnutcase

Commander

PFFFF.. If I have to, I'll fabricate a mount for the coupler that came off it to mount to that one piece fly wheel.
This is crazy. I have built many engines for the automotive world. I can't believe what a pain in the butt the boat world is.

Thanks.

You WILL have to! There is NO alternative! And EVERYTHING related to a stringer drive is a pain in the butt!