Engine won't turn over when it's cold

Big Wake

Recruit
I have a 2006 Bayliner with a 3.0 Mercruiser. When I first put the boat in the water and want to start it, it won't turn over, I just hear a click. After a few attempts it'll finally turn over and start. Once it's warmed up it starts great for the rest of the day. What should I be checking first?

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine won't turn over when it's cold

I have a 2006 Bayliner with a 3.0 Mercruiser. When I first put the boat in the water and want to start it, it won't turn over, I just hear a click. After a few attempts it'll finally turn over and start. Once it's warmed up it starts great for the rest of the day. What should I be checking first?

Sounds like a bad starter to me.

fathergolf

Recruit

Mine did the samething the last few days. Disconnected all the wires from the starter solenoid, cleaned them and it turned over right away.

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

Mine has been doing it for years. I was checking something else and noticed that a couple of wires were loose on the ignition switch. No more click click.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think its starter related but not necessarily the starter as much as a bad or loose connection. Probably just corrosion. Clean it up.