1987 Bayliner Capri 1400 Project

Mark1400Capri

Recruit
Hello Everyone,

I'm new here, and this is my first post. Obviously it's about my 1987 Bayliner Capri 1400. For starters I did not pay a dime for this boat, it was free! And now I know why... It has a great hull, and the motor should work with a new coil pack, but it needs a whole lot of work all around.

I am new to boats, but have wanted one for a long time, so I am very excited to be able to take on this project. I grew up around cars, so I'm not learning from the beginning, I'm very handy, and very capable with tools. So I'm not afraid to take on the big things.

Now for starters, the whole deck is rotten out, every piece of wood in the deck needs to be taken out and replaced. Even the stringers, the cross supports that join into them were destroyed, so it spread into the stringers, and fouled them out. So with that being said, I must replace the stringers. Noticing that Bayliner has encased these in fiberglass, roughly 1/2 inch around the 3/4 inch wood stringer, I had thoughts of cutting the tops off and digging out the rotten wood with a chisel. Once dug out, replace the rotten stringers with new ones, in the channels made from where the old ones were encased, using industrial glue to make sure they are secure. Next, seal the tops with 6 oz. fiber and resin, not as thick as Bayliner made them, but enough to seal out the water. Then tighten them in, every 12 with 1/4-20 nuts and bolts, and cover them with fiber and resin.

If this is overkill or not enough please let me know. I think this will more than support the boat though.

Next I would like to fill in the places where the old deck cross supports connected to the stringers. So that the two pieces of wood are no longer able to touch. Then install new internal deck support, resin covered and glassed together, maybe some aluminum angle for making sure that the supports are at 90 degree angles and square. Again let me know if this is overkill.

I also think that the transom will need some work. The drain at the back of the hull was not fully sealed when I checked it. In fact there was a brass piece on the outside of the hull for keeping the drain from ruining the hull, but when I put my finger in there, with a glove on, I could go all around and feel INSIDE OF THE TRANSOM!!! So I'm thinking I have rot in there too.

But I think I would have had to work on the transom anyway. The motor that Bayliner threw on the back was the Force 50, 50 horsepower motor, but it doesn't give the full 50 anymore. I would like to upgrade in the future, maybe to the Mercury 125 OptiMax, the weight difference is 120 pounds, so not terrible. What kind of enhancements should I do to the transom to support the motor?

Sorry to write a novel here, but I'm just starting out, and I do need help. I am also on a budget that is, well there is no budget, I am broke right now! Anyone hiring in the Raleigh, NC area? I really do appreciate any help, and guidance. This isn't a 1967 Mustang GT here, that would be easy for me, this is a boat, so I will be needing help.

Thank you if you read all of that, I am really, truly appreciative of anyones input. I am up for discussing and talking out new ideas for working on this boat.

Thank you.

Mark

Attachments

• 102_1148.jpg
    102_1148.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 102_1154.jpg
    102_1154.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 102_1155.jpg
    102_1155.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 102_1185.jpg
    102_1185.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 7

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Bayliner Capri 1400 Project

Welcome to the forum. I'm not a glass guy but in general your rebuild plans sound good to me. Definitely plan to replace the whole transom. Then everything related to the structure will be new. A lot more goes into the max HP determination for a hull than just weight and transom strength. A 125 would be WAY too large for that 14' hull. I'd stick to the max rating. (if you choose to go larger anyway, please at least don't go bigger than a 3 cyl like a 70-75 or something)

Mark1400Capri

Recruit

Thanks ezmobee, looks like you have some great experience from your thread. In all honesty, I am a little nervous about digging into the transom by myself. I've don't want to damage anything that isn't broke, and I really have no clue what I'm doing in when it comes to that. Hopefully someone on here has worked on a boat like mine, and has done transom work.

Mark

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Have no fear. It's just plywood fiberglassed to the back of the boat. No biggie. Read, read, read as many of the fiberglass boat threads as you can on here and you'll know just what you're getting into.