bad gas or ?

lakeboat87

Recruit
hi everyone i have 87 180 mercr. four winns someone told me the valves r not adjustable. i hear a tapping noise and the boat has been sitting for 5yrs with gas in it it runs really bad can some one pleases guid me im drowning it has no power:confused: everytime i give full throttle the carb will pop. bog down sputter then it will pick up speed but i have to do this everytime i open it up... any ideas

lakeboat87

Recruit
Re: bad gas or ?

i need help boat sat with gas four or five years spuutteres pops hade carb rebuilt still doing it .also can valves on this motor be adjusted.. its 1987 four winns. 180 mercruiser

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

i by no means am a marine mechanic but i can give you this info gas does go bad after sitting for a wile. first this i would do is drain all that old gas out change out all the filters and water seperators. if not to much of a pain i would also change out the fuel lines. at least then you know you are not picking up any "varnish" and clogging you fresh rebuilt carb. the ticking noise you are hearing could be valves needing adjusted which is somthing if you dont know how to do i would take it to a shop for that. or it could be spark knocking due to the bad gas. my question is did you put fresh gas in it when you started it or did you put staybil in it when you parked it??

lakeboat87

Recruit

i never took out all gas but added stabilizer.can the valves in a 170 merc. be adjusted. maybe u will know i have no clue

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

i would start off by getting the old gas out and putting fresh back in incase you are hearing spark knock which sounds like a tick if that dont fix then i would take it in to a mechanic and talk with them about it. if you dont know what you are doing when adjusting the valves you can choke a motor down and not even know it

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Sounds like bad fuel.(just from how long it has set).. Drain all that ol stinky gas out change filters and do a carb overhaul... The carb is very easy.. Did mine and it was cake.. If you are so worried about a stuck lifter.. Take the valve cover off and look and see what the rocker arms are doing.. You should post this thread in the engine repair section.. Those guys seem to know what they are talking about... Don't let them scare ya lol;).. Lots of things cause a pop back though the carb..... Engine timing, burnt valves, could be lots of stuff...

lakeboat87

Recruit

i just installed a new fuel pump new points cap and coil . i have spark from coil and points i disconnected fuel line cranked it over gas is coming out but it will not start any suggestions im lost ...