Crankcase Full of Gray Oil - Help!

Coddy

Cadet
I have a question that I hope someone can help me out with. We have a boat with a Mercruiser 305 V8. It has been sitting for 5 years. (We believe that it was properly winterized when we were finished using it 5 years ago). We?re now trying to get it running again for this summer. We started cleaning and washing the boat when I just happened to pull out the dipstick to take a look at the oil. Instead of seeing brown oil up to the Full mark on the dipstick, I saw grayish oil. Not only did I see grayish oil but it was about 5 times higher up the dipstick than it should have been. It would appear that water has entered the oil pan somehow.
I was wondering what generally causes this type of condition. Is it a cracked water jacket or perhaps a blown head gasket? I imagine that this was caused by incorrect winterization but I?m not sure. How do I proceed now? Should I change the oil and filter and try to start the engine? Perform a compression check on all cylinders? Any direction you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Crankcase Full of Gray Oil - Help!

5 years of sitting with water in the oil does not make your chances good of salvaging that engine. The "why" may be good to know in order to not let it happen again... but I believe you will be looking for a new engine.

Sorry! :(

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Crankcase Full of Gray Oil - Help!

We believe that it was properly winterized when we were finished using it 5 years ago

sorry it wasn't....

If you pull the intake manifold, you'll see cracks like this in the thin areas of the block behind the push rods.
miscapril2007011.jpg

If you can tell us what year it is, and what continent or country you are in, we can give some pointers on finding a replacement long block or short block.

If you want to verify without disassembly, you can pressure test the cooling system like this- red x's = remove the hoses from manifolds and clamp a 5/8" bolt in each end

green arrow = introduce air - max 15 psi

listen for the hissing... that's the cracks

searay.jpg