1996 P60 Idle Overheat (pictures added)

MBTundra

Cadet
Hey guys I?m trying to trouble shoot this problem.

What I know is the impeller is new, cup and stainless plate are smooth no grooves or obvious wear, water pump housing(put new pick up tube rubber seal in) does not look worn or any obvious damage, gaskets are good, thermostat works, new thermo switch. It?s been ran in fresh water only.

Is there anything else I can check?

I?ve found a couple different spec?s on the idle setting. The first spec is 800 +/- 50. The next one I found was 750-850 for the idle in neutral. It had a note under the trolling rpm column. It said those numbers are for all models except ones with PTT they should be 1000-1100 idle in neutral and 750-850 for trolling. Mine has PTT.

Which is right? 1000-1100 seems a little high to shift gears, to me anyway.

Before I purchased the boat the previous owner had it into 2 different shops for this problem(and others) and they both thought they figured it out.

In neutral it won?t over heat but in gear it will happen pretty quick. It goes into protection mode.

Also the motor/boat does not have a horn or warning light. I would like to wire in a light for the temperature and I can?t quite sort it out thru the wiring diagrams I have.

Can anyone tell me which wires to use?

Cheers

Mike

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1996 P60 Idle Overheat

Does that thing have a PRV? check it for sticking open

MBTundra

Cadet

I should have added that, I looked thru the Yammy OEM parts fiche and they don?t show a PRV. I don?t see it in my manual either. They show a bolt and that's what's on my engine.

MBTundra

Cadet
Re: 1996 P60 Idle Overheat (pictures added)

Well Gent?s,

I pulled the thermostat cover while I was running it and noticed, to me what seemed like, not much water coming thru the stat when it opened. It was basically a tickle. Also, which may be obvious to some, the top of the head was clearly hotter than the bottom.(to the touch) The motor was shut down before any overheating occurred.

I pulled the bottom end and sealed the garden hose to the pickup tube and turned the water on. It poured out the thermostat housing pretty heavy.

The next thing I did was seal the hose to the thermostat housing and the water poured out the pickup tube and some other spots with what seems to me very little resistance.

So can I be safe to assume that they water jackets are free and clear? Or was this not a good test because of the water pressure?

Next you can see my set up in the picture. I turned the pump and water comes out of the spots marked with the arrows. The spot x seems to be a small hole which looks factory. Is the water coming out around the shaft (#1) normal? Doesn?t seem like it should be to me..( A closer look shows it comes out of the tab bent up on the cup.)

DSC04443.jpg

DSC04444edit.jpg

Any help would be great!!

thanks!

Mike

Last edited:

MBTundra

Cadet

Anyone have any insite on the my last post with the pictures?

MBTundra

Cadet

I figured it out!

There was leakage around the cup (#1 in the picture) when it?s in the housing. I put an o-ring in between the cup and housing and that solved the leakage problem.

When I was ordering new parts I found out from a local dealer that if an impeller is overheated, the heat will warp or even melt the plastic water pump housing.

The moral of my story is don?t trust somebody(previous owners mechanic?s) when they say a used part is good because they put it in.

Or don?t try to trouble shoot a problem and just buy all new parts, save your time and except the fact that you don?t know why it happened.

Cheers boy?s it?s trouble free fishing time!