Mercruiser 470 inboard -- stern drive to inboard

usfwalden

Seaman Apprentice
I understand that in 80 and 81 the mercruiser 470 was available as an inboard. Does anybody have one or any pictures of one?

I just bought a 190 (also a 3.7L) and am going to set it up as an inboard. I've been watching ebay for for 470 inboard parts for sale but haven't seen any.

I've seen some tiny sketches of the water pump and bracket on the marinpartsplus website and found the part number or their partial number (I'm not sure if they are giving the full part number or not) for the bellhouseing but they are of course all "nla," no longer available.

flywheel housing assembly 90334
water pump bracket 78010
water pump 72774a11 superceded by --> 46-72774A32

If anyone has any pictures or insight or even better parts I'd appreciate it.

I'll remove the velvet drive transmission from my old engine and get into doing some bolt pattern comparisons and measurements in a couple days. I have a cnc machining center, tig welder, etc so I can customize the 190's bell housing to suit the velvet drive transmission if I have to but it's always nice to see what the real thing looks like before starting work.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 470 inboard -- stern drive to inboard

I just bought a 190 (also a 3.7L) and am going to set it up as an inboard.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... 2 questions,...
1,.. What motor are you replacing,..??
2,.. Why o Why are you choosin' the Infamous 470,..??

I can't think of a Worse choice...

usfwalden

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for the welcome. I am replacing a crusader 270 (chevy 350 base). The boat was a wreck when I got it so I never ran the boat with that engine even though the engine ran. The boat is kind of an odd setup you don't see much of, or at least I don't see much of. It's a 23 ft open fisherman with a 7 ft beam that somehow still manages to have a lot of deck space. I calculate I can stack 93 stone crab taps in it comfortabely and securely. Anyway, the engine was salt water cooled and ancient and weights in at just about 1000 lbs so I've been looking at alternatives to loose some weight while being fresh water cooled. The 3.7 liter just looks like the perfect match. It's light, enough power for the boat, simple, and will fit into the space it's going so nicely that I couldn't resist it. I started shopping and I found a 190 locally. The 190 has all the goodies (4 barrel rochester, aluminum manifolds, oil cooler).

It seems like a hell of a motor to me. I'm an experienced and well tooled up engine builder so rebuilding one of these things to better than new wouldn't be difficult (if someone gives me the pdf manual) so I'm not scared. I figure they get a bad rap because failing head gaskets are the kind of thing that people who can't or really shouldn't be building engines have nightmares about.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... 2 questions,...
1,.. What motor are you replacing,..??
2,.. Why o Why are you choosin' the Infamous 470,..??

I can't think of a Worse choice...

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but Google Images has tons of images for you: http://images.google.com/images?q=mercruiser 470&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

He is looking for info on how to make a 3.7L a direct drive instead of a sterndrive. I have never seen it in the application before but dont see why it couldnt be.

Its a wrong wording issue.

OP....the term inboard or outboard refers to where the engine is located...in the boat or out of the boat....so the 3.7L will always be an inboard. It would be funny to see it as an outboard though:D

You want to look for it as a direct drive or even possibly as a v-drive (dont think any one would do a v drive version but possible)

Good luck

usfwalden

Seaman Apprentice

Ya, you've got the right engine looked up there and that's the front mount that is particular to the inboard..or direct drive as the other guy wants to call it. Mercury lists it as MIE for mercury inboard engine and the sterndrive as MCM.

I'm hoping to find a picture of the flywheel housing (bell housing). The parts schematic of it is:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M...LYWHEEL HOUSING ASSEMBLY (INBOARD)/parts.html

Idealy it will be a picture of one somebody wants to sell me inexpensively, lol.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

dont these engines have the same bell housing bolt pattern as a SBC?

if so you just need any MIE bell housing that as accommodation for the starter, along with the correct size flywheel.

I went the opposite direction, and mounted 2 merc 255 MIE's up to stern drives....

ive got the bell housings you would need, except they are sandwiched between my engines and stern drives still(everything bolted up)

usfwalden

Seaman Apprentice

That is the theory I started with. I had asked one of the big online inboard part suppliers and the phone guy asked the mechanic guy and he said the 3.7 has a chevy bolt pattern and figured I'd be able to hob something together. It's still possible and I hope so but I'm not certain yet that it will work out that way. There's definitely no top center bolt on the 3.7 block matching the one on the chevy bell housings and I think the starter and ring gear might match a ford rather than a chevy.

I don't think any other engine or bell housing used a block mounted starter on the left side. I'm curious if the mie version of the 3.7 used that location for the starter or covered it up and used a bell housing mounted starter.

Is there a forum here to make a parts wanted post in?

dont these engines have the same bell housing bolt pattern as a SBC?

if so you just need any MIE bell housing that as accommodation for the starter, along with the correct size flywheel.

I went the opposite direction, and mounted 2 merc 255 MIE's up to stern drives....

ive got the bell housings you would need, except they are sandwiched between my engines and stern drives still(everything bolted up)

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I didn't notice the alternator conversion on the list of goodies, that to me would be on top of my new wish list.

Bondo

Staff member

Anyway, the engine was salt water cooled and ancient and weights in at just about 1000 lbs so I've been looking at alternatives to loose some weight while being fresh water cooled.

Ayuh,... If you went with a 4.3l,+ freshwater cooling kit, you'd have something that Parts are available for,+ still a couple hundred pounds lighter than the 350...
And,...
Many of the 350 pieces will work with the 4.3l...

zbnutcase

Commander

And replace the iron head with an Edelbrock, save even more weight and gain 20hp in the process

usfwalden

Seaman Apprentice

Actually it does have the alternator conversion kit on it. I didn't list it because it's not part of the 190 OE goodie list.

I didn't notice the alternator conversion on the list of goodies, that to me would be on top of my new wish list.

usfwalden

Seaman Apprentice

I don't want a v-block. I like the inline 4.

Ayuh,... If you went with a 4.3l,+ freshwater cooling kit, you'd have something that Parts are available for,+ still a couple hundred pounds lighter than the 350...
And,...
Many of the 350 pieces will work with the 4.3l...

usfwalden

Seaman Apprentice

When I rebuild one I might do that. I'm probably going to throw the engine I have in as it is for this season and casually build another one to replace it.

And replace the iron head with an Edelbrock, save even more weight and gain 20hp in the process

usfwalden

Seaman Apprentice

Or is it OE? I think I saw something online about mercruiser doing an alternator conversion kit S185953 on models after serial 6902288 which mine would definitely be after. I was actually suprised by the quality of the alternator conversion kit on my engine.

Actually it does have the alternator conversion kit on it. I didn't list it because it's not part of the 190 OE goodie list.

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is the theory I started with. I had asked one of the big online inboard part suppliers and the phone guy asked the mechanic guy and he said the 3.7 has a chevy bolt pattern and figured I'd be able to hob something together. It's still possible and I hope so but I'm not certain yet that it will work out that way. There's definitely no top center bolt on the 3.7 block matching the one on the chevy bell housings and I think the starter and ring gear might match a ford rather than a chevy.

I don't think any other engine or bell housing used a block mounted starter on the left side. I'm curious if the mie version of the 3.7 used that location for the starter or covered it up and used a bell housing mounted starter.

Is there a forum here to make a parts wanted post in?

I thought the 3.7 was a Ford.

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No buddy it is a mercruiser block with a ford 460 head...

I knew Ford was in there somewhere. I have had nothing but bad luck with fords so maybe....
Thats why this thing is a PIA