Reset hour gauge after install new engine?

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
I will be installing a new engine this coming weekend and was wondering if there is a way to reset the hour gauge? Do I have to buy a new one? Its an older 89 style engine so I dont think it has an ECM or anything like that.

Thanks

shuswap119

Seaman
Re: Reset hour gauge after install new engine?

Hey LAC, why not just document the hours at install? As stated in previous threads, hour meters are not gospel anyhow ;)

Regards,

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd leave it as is. For a future sale of the boat you can show the receipt. Theres no advantage to changing it unless it doesn't work.

LAC_STS

Is it a pain to change or something? I found new gauges at a local marine surplus store cheap and figured if I couldn't turn the current one back it would be very easy and cheap to change.

Is there something hard about it or are you guys just saying it's not worth it to mess with it?

Thanks so much for the help

shuswap119

Seaman

Changing it shouldn't be a big deal if the new gauge fits you dashboard. Just saying that the meter doesn't add much value.

Regards,

jtmarten

Won't add any value, but will make maint intervals easier. Keep the original meter, could be a good selling point if you ever decide to sell.