Wet Foam! :( HELP!

pmtom1

Seaman
Hey guys.... Im about 2 weeks into another one of those fun cragslist projects. 89 Wellcraft Eclipse 186.

What started as carpet turned out to be ONE piece of rotten deck. The rest had obviously been recently replaced (not sure why they skipped this piece but...) Pulled the piece out and found wet foam. Came back in and searched forums for a couple hours doing homework on this and found tons of uselfull stuff. How to get it out, how to (or if) replace it, stringers, peanut butter...pretty much 99% of what I need. Excpet one thing.

That back section was reeally wet. I cut into the next one and it was only wet on the bottom 1/2, Next one only bottom 1/4.

1) It is safe to assume to water is traveling forward from the rotten section?
2) How much wetness is acceptable?

Am I just being lazy or should I just rip the whole thing up (both sides) and redo the floor?

What other issues besides weight am I facing with a little water?

Thanks guys! This forum has already been a life and dollar saver, not to mention very entertaining. Pictures ARE coming.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wet Foam! :( HELP!

I wouldnt say your "just being lazy" but for sure when someone does a restore we tend to look for shortcuts. it never pays off. so just replace the foam, what happens its that moisture stays below deck and reaches the wood elements causing rot, its a vicious cycle.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you want to keep the boat, have a Safe and Sound boat, and do it RIGHT, then rip it ALL out and Replace it all. Your choice on replacing the foam. Some do, some don't. Some use two part pourable, some use the pink or blue from HD or Lowe's, some use Pool Noodles heck some use soda bottles. Like I said, your choice. But ANY water in the Foam is TO MUCH. Get it all out and then make your decision.

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like the other guys said, any wetness in the foam will continue to trash whatever wood you put in, as well as be useless weight to carry around. Soles are relativly cheap to redo, get ext ply, csm, and poly resin. for more strength bump up to mat and cloth/biax/roving.

Terry

pmtom1

Seaman

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Im going for it. Each section revealed more bad news so... what the hell.

Starting a rebuild thread with pics today.

slogen

Seaman

Hey guys.... Im about 2 weeks into another one of those fun cragslist projects. 89 Wellcraft Eclipse 186.

What started as carpet turned out to be ONE piece of rotten deck. The rest had obviously been recently replaced (not sure why they skipped this piece but...) Pulled the piece out and found wet foam. Came back in and searched forums for a couple hours doing homework on this and found tons of uselfull stuff. How to get it out, how to (or if) replace it, stringers, peanut butter...pretty much 99% of what I need. Excpet one thing.

That back section was reeally wet. I cut into the next one and it was only wet on the bottom 1/2, Next one only bottom 1/4.

1) It is safe to assume to water is traveling forward from the rotten section?
2) How much wetness is acceptable?

Am I just being lazy or should I just rip the whole thing up (both sides) and redo the floor?

What other issues besides weight am I facing with a little water?

Thanks guys! This forum has already been a life and dollar saver, not to mention very entertaining. Pictures ARE coming.

i had the sme problem you should rip evry thing out even if you rea foam , if it cracks its no good and absorbs water. i left my deck hollow and just seald the wood and put a drain plug neer the bac to drain into buildge pum area in my speed boat