recoil rewind spring solution

kjay

Seaman Apprentice
i originally posted looking for help, i hope this helps somone. the following was done on a
1964 jw 18 3 hp i have editted my question and turned it to an answer. sory if its run on sentences typing on iphone not easy

kjay

Seaman Apprentice
here is how

here is how

i figured it out today maybe this will help someone else.
64 3hp johnson recoil project.
gloves glasses required.
take off pulley,
remove center bolt on pulley

order new spring open it with gloves on hold tight and cut the ties open on it and let it uncoil slowly.

you will notice on the recoil spring there are clasps on both ends of the coil.
one goes on the pulley and one on the housing.

with coil unwound i put the one end on the housing tapped it down in place. i put the other end on the pulley.
i took of pull cord rope so wont get in the way, remove it from rubber handle also make sure both ends are not frayed. if so burn with lighter.

i then put the pulley back in housing as i found it slightly and begun to rewind. once it started to tighten the pully began to fit back in the housing better until it was back to being as tight as it should be and aligned
i then put bolt back on the center piece so spring couldnt fly out at me.
i then held on to the housing and pulley for dear life a helper would be great here.
i then ran the pull rope back through the appropriate holes. i tied it off at the pulley with knot.
then tied a bolt to the other end of the pull cord leaving about 5 inches of slack so when i let the housing a pulley go it would suck the pull cord back in up to the bolt leaving me some cord to run through the rubber pull handle. let it go and it should suck the pull cord up.
then took vise grips and clamped the cord just below the bolt so the pull cord would not go all the way in and have to start over causing sripng to unwind inside
i un-tied he bolt ran cord through rubber handle tied it off, took vise grips off and done. works like a charm.
sorry if this went on and on i just hope it helps someone else.