Starter Problem ?

nthrnNYker

Cadet
Last year, the starter on my 85hp Force began operating sluggishly, turning the engine over very slowly. I thought it might have been a battery problem, so I replaced the battery and cleaned all the terminals...no joy.

I then went out and bought a new starter, and problem solved....for a short while.

Now, after less than 3 hrs run time on the engine, the pinion gear on the new starter seems to periodically "lock-up" with the flywheel. I can release the gear by turning the flywheel with a breaker bar, but within 3-4 more attempts to start the engine, the gear will lock up with the flywheel again.

Might I have missed installing a washer/spacer when I re-installed the starter, causing the pinion gear to mis-align with the flywheel when it engages ?

What can I do to solve this problem ?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Starter Problem ?

Sometimes the starter drive gear assy will stick. Try lubricating the shaft that the drive gear assy. rides up and down on.

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use Silicone Spray Lubricant for mine once a year! Works great!
Just spray on the shaft, you can spray on heavy with a rag below then wipe off the excess. Start up and shut off 2 times, spray again then finnished!

-Mark

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

This may sound obvious, but does it have the spring above the pinion that pushes it back down?