460 merc cruiser

roughrider123

Recruit
Need info on 4 cylinder 460 merc cruiser I/O from 1985. I have seen nothing nice about it yet. The boat and trailer are in good to very good shape. Cost involved to replace with something better is something i may consider as the price is falling fast on the boat. Owner tells me he has service records for motor, its running great and he just replaced the points.

roughrider out.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 460 merc cruiser

Need info on 4 cylinder 460 merc cruiser I/O from 1985.

Ayuh,.... Search 470,+ you'll get all the info you'll need....

bucnon75

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 460 merc cruiser

Hey,
I'm a fairly new owner of a boat with a Merc 470 (3.7L), inline 4 cyl engine- I assume that's the engine you're speaking of. It uses a cast iron Ford 460 head and an aluminum block made by Mercruiser. Here's my opinion:

From what I know, the engine will require more care and attention than a standard GM V-6 or V-8. The engine was made by Mercruiser from '77 to '89, but does not make many (if any) parts for it anymore.

The engines run very warm by design and have a tendency to overheat. I see numerous posts on this site asking for suitable replacement engines because they blow up or something.

Positive aspects: good power to weight ratio, good fuel economy, might make you a marine mechanic, somewhat simple to work on

Negatives: tendency to overheat, lack of available new parts, expensive parts, cold natured, requires closer monitoring

If it were me, I would spend more money on the front-end buying a boat with a standard GM V-6 or V-8 and a Mercruiser outdrive (not OMC). It would likely be cheaper in the long run and easier to sell later.