AQ170 Idle and start problems

VFDfireman

Cadet
I have problem with the idle on my AQ170. When the boat is cool, the boat idles good.

After 30 to 40 mins. of hard running, the boat will not idle well, and I have to take the boat out of gear to advance the throttle enough to keep it running.

I have also noticed that if I open the dog house, the boat idles really good when hot. I do have a bilge blower, and it does work, but I'm not sure about the airflow.

Does it make sense to add another or bigger blower?

My starting problem is wierd. The boat acts like it has a weak battery when the ignition switch is turned. It will just click. If you keep trying, it fires right away without issue or weakness. I have a new starter and new battery. Ignition switch is also new. Any thoughts? Could it be the neutral switch? If so where is it located on a AQ170 / 270? Other culprits?

Thanks

CapnMorgan

Cadet
Re: AQ170 Idle and start problems

check for exhaust leaks. maybe the engine compartment is filling with co and smothering the engine. as for the starter prob, check if there is a relay/solenoid that is faulty. I'm not familiar with your boat but I've owned a few mercruisers that all had a solinoid mounted by the main breaker on the engine and I have had to change every one that I owned.

VFDfireman

Cadet

No exhaust leaks to be found....not even one hint of one.

As far as the relay goes, I'll have to work at the starter solenoid and work backwards with a meter. I was hoping there was someone who has experinced the same thing and had resolved it.

Thanks.

VFDfireman

Cadet

Update:

I still have not solved either issue. Last year I got so fed up with it towards the end of the boating season that I winterized it as is.

I've started prepping the boat this past week. While cleaning, I noticed the pickup hose for the bilge blower was almost perfectly flat on the pickup end. I think that this may be part of my hot idle problem. I also will be checking the dwell and timing. I know that there are not any exhaust leaks. I will also check the intake louvers. I have a feeling that they may partially blocked with trash. There is quite a few bends in the tubing

I am still struggling with the intermitant crank. If you jumper the starter, it fires every time. I believe that the starter is good, and it was purchased new two years ago.

Does anyone know if there is a neutral start switch on a Aq170/270 Volvo? I can't seem to find one. Pictures would be awesome if someone has one.

I see that I forgot to mention that the boat is a '72 Glastron V-212.

Thanks.