'61 Johnson 40hp, generator queeries...

knehdn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1961 Johnson 40hp, model RDS-23. Seeing as I seem to be out for extended periods, 5hrs. or more, or more, (and using marine VHF, and a CB, and fishfinder, and occasionally nav lights), I'm considering buying a generator (+/- $180US off eBay), plus belt, plus wiring, etc., OR ... buying some solar panels, etc. The final costs would work out to be a wash, but I'd like to know which direction would be the wiser? I'm sure I can make some sort of a deck up front to which to mount the panels. (or place them on the seats of my open 3 seater 16' Starcraft utility ... or maybe hinging the panels on the front of each has crossed my mind)
After looking at my motor, I'm not sure where the generator might fit... things look kinda tight in there.
Did these ever come with generators factory installed?
All and any suggetions, and advise are greatly appreciated.
Please and thank you.

Attachments

• deck off3.jpg
    deck off3.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 0

Upstatehunter

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '61 Johnson 40hp, generator queeries...

Had a '66 with a generator. Mounts oposite the starter, behind the carb.
I did away with it as it really didn't charge the battery much. Will give about 3-4 volts at WOT. not even measuable if idling. My opinion, if you have room for panels, get them. Otherwise just run the best battery and recharge daily. Maybe a onboard charger, plug in when home.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: '61 Johnson 40hp, generator queeries...

You won't need a generator. You can go for days on a full deep cycle battery. The CB and VHF don't really consume that much power except when transmitting. Nav lights are usually not an issue, especially if you upgrade to LED's. The motor consumes absolutely nothing when running, unless it's an electric shift motor, in which you would already have a generator installed unless it was removed.
I've never had a (functioning) generator on my big twins.