Need input - 1987 17' Bowrider -> rotten floor!

pmjr0987

Seaman
I have a 1987 Citation Bowrider i got it in oct. 08 for $650 inc.trailer

I got it for a learning experience i knew it had a few things wrong with it but i didnt know how bad the floor actually was untill i ripped the carpet up to see.

I have a few pics here i took to show you guys what im working with, Take a look ....

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

Im looking for honest opinions on my boat. What would you do if it was yours??

I really like the little boat, the exterior design has grown on me, the motor runs excelent and besides this interior its ready to go and i cant imagine replacing it for a better boat anywhere near what i paid for it...

So should i just plop a sheet of pressuretreated plywood over the whole floor and call it a day, at least till winter? Or does this require imediate attention before i use it?

My dad said if i wanted to just go with a quick fix for now, there is a liquid that you poor into the stringer (you drill holes into it, then poor the liquid in the holes) that soaks up water/dampness and dries hard, basicaly making it hard again. The thing is the stringer doesnt look bad to me at least and they are hard from what i can tell, but maybe someone here can chime in with a bit more experience then i have and point me in the right direction so i can get out on the water.. :D

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Need input - 1987 17' Bowrider -> rotten floor!

Sounds like you've bonded with that boat, as I have mine. Yours doesn't look that difficult a project, though. See my Rinkerbuilt Project & you'll know what I mean. I think you should do what you think really needs doing. Good luck with your project!

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

I would go ahead and pull that rotten floor out to get a better look at the stringers. Once the floor is out, you'll have to drill a few test holes in the stringers to see what the wood looks like inside. Hopefully it's not mulch, but with a floor like that, it's likely.

If the stringers turn out to be ok, then you've just got to replace the deck and new carpet and you're ready for water. There are lots of threads on here about replacing just the deck and the best ways to do it.

I would also do a good check on the transom while you're at it, especially if the stringers turn out to be wet. Seems like stringers and transom usually get wet together. Search around on here for the best ways to check it.

The experience in doing these repairs are worth the time and effort even if the boat isn't. And since you've bonded with the boat and the motor runs good... go for it.

Good luck...

pmjr0987

Seaman

I will search for said threads. Thanks.

Looks like there are 4 2" holes (two on each side) in the floor and when i poke my finger into them, it seems like its structural foam or the expanding kind. if you could imagine the two stringers going down the length of the boat its on the outside part of the stringers, both sides. the floor is rock solid there, its just the middle thats soft, right where the storage opening is.

I purchased 3/4" pressure treated plywood, but after getting home i though about the extra weight in the boat, i mean it had to weigh close to or above 100# for the whole 4x8' sheet and i actually returned it. Im going to cut out the old floor, at least to the stringer and just get 1/2" regular plywood and epoxy the bottem, and fiberglass the top into the boat. Only thing pending now is catching a glimpse of the stringers, but as luck has it as soon as i got out of work it started pooring :mad: so it will have to wait for another day