Popping Blower Fuses

ducttapehondo

Recruit
Hello,
I've got a 1996 2050 Bayliner Capri, Mercrusier V8 I/O.
The blower stopped working so I checked the 5Amp fuse and sure enough it was blown. So I put another in, turned the blower on, it worked for about 1 second and popped the fuse again.
I left it as-is while en route to the dock. On the way home the depth finder stopped working (directly wired to batter)...the positive connection ripped from the battery terminal (it was rather wavy :) I tell you this just as a matter of fact/coincidence even though I don't think it plays a role. I fixed the connection and the depth finder works great (although wires need to be replaced as copper is corroding).

I replaced the blower's 5Amp fuse with a 10Amp fuse just to see if it would work, it did, but sounded like a cat was stuck in it. I flicked it on/off a number of times over the next couple days with the same cat-like sound. While removing the blower hoses I found a Rice Crispy Treats wrapper stuck in the fan blades. Took that out, turned it on and it ran perfect. When I clicked it off however, the 10Amp fuse blew. Tossed another 5Amp in for sake of argument, and it blew as soon as I turned the blower on.

Everything else on the panel is working fine (Navigation lights, horn, bilge, accessory) except the stern light. I don't believe the stern light is a panel/fuse issue, the stern receptacle has never seated properly.

Any ideas on what I should/could be looking at for the blower fuse?
Thanks and have a great day.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Popping Blower Fuses

Your blower fuse is doing it's job. It's not the fuse, it's the blower. When the bearings start to go, they squeal. The shaft is getting bound up and causing the wires to get hot, thus blowing the fuse.

Time for a new blower. And BTW, NEVER install a higher amperage fuse in a circuit just to get it running...good way to start fires...