flywheel not turning

hookups08

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so what I thought was a bum starter turns out to be just fine, its coming up and gripping the flywheel but its not turning...what should be my priorities in checking out this issue??

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: flywheel not turning

What engine?
Pull the plugs, see if you get better results.

Did the engine overheat? DId you run non-oil mix gas? Does the shifter work?

Can you turn the prop by hand with the engine in neutral?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Does the flywheel turn by hand?
You must give more information for anybody to give you any input.

hookups08

Seaman Apprentice

its a 1960 johnson 40 hp. It does not turn by hand, it would turn a few days ago and all the work i have done since then is a waterpump change, which then it turned after that, but then when i replaced my spark plugs i found out the holes were stripped. So I bought those helicoils and replaced those, now my flywheel wont turn...

hookups08

Seaman Apprentice

did not overheat, proper oil mix and the shifter does work....

234rick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

its a 1960 johnson 40 hp. It does not turn by hand, it would turn a few days ago and all the work i have done since then is a waterpump change, which then it turned after that, but then when i replaced my spark plugs i found out the holes were stripped. So I bought those helicoils and replaced those, now my flywheel wont turn...

Does it turn either way a little bit if so the piston is hitting the helicoils ( you may have screwed them in to far).

hookups08

Seaman Apprentice

ok i just removed my spark plugs with the inserts and it still will not budge, what are the chances of pieces of wires (from tapping it) may be causing some obstruction, and can I take off the plate where the spark plugs go to investigate or will that just be torturous?

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

Not to get off topic, but if the inserts came out with the spark plugs, they were not installed properly.

Were the helicoils installed with the head off the engine? There is a drive tab at the end of the coil and if the helicoil was installed with the head on the engine, you could possibly have the tabs and/or metal chips holding up things.

Back to original problem, retrace your replace impeller steps (including removal of LU) to make sure that everything is right.

hookups08

Seaman Apprentice

I left the head on the engine while installing...or misinstalling the helicoils...the only thing i can think of would be debris up in there. I dont think it is the lower unit only becase i was able to get it turning after the water pump install, it was after the helicoil replacement that thing went awry.

Rick.

Captain

If you think there is any chance you got debris into the cylinders then be thankful it won't turn over. Remove your head and clean out the debris before it causes you further trouble. With the head removed you might be able to see the problem as well. Best of luck. Rick.

hookups08

Seaman Apprentice

ok i got the head off and found a piece of metal wedged between the piston and the cylinder, I gotta pull the piece out with plyers, is there any way i can push the piston down without doing and true damage?

put a piece of wood on the piston and try tapping it down with a hammer...

if it stalled the starter i'd say the damage is already done....

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

The starter you can salvage, the block might be toast.

Try tapping the piston down, to remove the debris, if that fails, possibly the exhaust covers could be removed for access to the offending metal? I'm not that familiar with your engine.

Best case, you could be looking at a piston replacement.

Worst case would be a powerhead rebuild with oversize pistons.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I left the head on the engine while installing...or misinstalling the helicoils

Very bad idea !!! :eek:
Hopefully you can back the piston down, remove the shavings and check the condition of the bores.