manual fuel pumping no oil warning

tasroc

Recruit
My 50 evinrude sucks. It wont stay running unless i manually pump it and then it only runs for about 5 min before the no oil warning buzzer comes on. how can i not be getting fuel or oil? My manual ball pump on my oil tank is hard as rock and cannot be pumped. I can shut it off and restart it as i wish for 5 min periods.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: manual fuel pumping no oil warning

My 50 evinrude sucks. It wont stay running unless i manually pump it and then it only runs for about 5 min before the no oil warning buzzer comes on. how can i not be getting fuel or oil? My manual ball pump on my oil tank is hard as rock and cannot be pumped. I can shut it off and restart it as i wish for 5 min periods.

Hopefully others will chime in, especially if I'm way off base on this.

But I think having to manually pump the bulb is a classic sign of fuel pump failure. In your engine, if it's a VRO (aka OMS) pump, the same air motor drives the fuel portion of the pump and the oil portion. Therefore, if it's failing, it won't drive the fuel portion of the pump (thus you having to pump the bulb to keep the engine running) and won't drive the oil portion of pump either. The "no oil" alarm is triggered by a sensor that monitors the oil pump portion - if it's not working, or not working well enough, it will drigger the "no oil" alarm.

At least this is what comes to my mind, hope it makes sense.

Read this article, which shows how the pump works.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

In case it matters to you, if you decide that it is in fact a bad VRO/OMS pump, it's a pretty easy do it yourself to replace it. The pump is kind of expensive, but if you have a service manual, it's a 1-2 hour easy job with basic, simple tools. I did it and I'm no mechanic.

tasroc

Recruit

i am suspecting the VRO but the warning buzzer confuses me....this from that thread
"The warning horn tone sequence tells if a problem is occurring while operating the engine. A rapid on?off sound is a "no oil flow" indication. One beep every 20 to 40 seconds is a low oil level in the remote tank. Of course a steady tone at all speeds is an overheat condition. On V-6's a constant horn at high speeds that disappears instantly when the throttle is pulled back indicates a fuel restriction."

I get the steady tone with the "no oil" light.
My motor is a 1997 ibeleive and this comes from the same thread.

" since 1996 the SystemCheck gauge uses four LED warning lights that illuminate to indicate LOW OIL, NO OIL, OVERHEAT, or CHECK ENGINE."

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

i am suspecting the VRO but the warning buzzer confuses me....this from that thread
"The warning horn tone sequence tells if a problem is occurring while operating the engine. A rapid on?off sound is a "no oil flow" indication. One beep every 20 to 40 seconds is a low oil level in the remote tank. Of course a steady tone at all speeds is an overheat condition. On V-6's a constant horn at high speeds that disappears instantly when the throttle is pulled back indicates a fuel restriction."

I get the steady tone with the "no oil" light.
My motor is a 1997 ibeleive and this comes from the same thread.

" since 1996 the SystemCheck gauge uses four LED warning lights that illuminate to indicate LOW OIL, NO OIL, OVERHEAT, or CHECK ENGINE."

Yes, the warning for "no oil" is different with the system check gauges. With System Check, all the warnings are constant buzzer and the light indicates which warning it is. So the "no oil" warning is a constant buzzer and the no oil light is lit.

Yours must be System Check since it has lights.

The earlier warning system didn't have any lights to indicate the trouble, so the pattern of the buzzer was the indicator. But since yours is System Check you don't need to bother with that.