shrink wrapping a boat

h2omansd

Seaman Apprentice
I'm about to have my new-to-me 322 silverton shrink wrapped. I'm debating whether or not to leave the extensive amount of canvas in place or to remove it prior to shrink wrapping. Should the canvas be left up and in place or removed? thx, Steve

sloopy

Commander
Re: shrink wrapping a boat

REMOVED. The shrink wrapper will built a frame or support for the shrink wrap, There is no need for the cover to be there, it should be cleaned, folded and stored in a warm place. If it is sunbrella and it is leaking, pour Tomsons water sealer in a spay bottle and lightly spray the canvas.

18rabbit

Captain

There is an article in the current issue of DIY Boat Owner magazine: "HONEY I SHRUNK THE COVER": Master the art of shrink-wrapping. I like this publication and grab it whenever I pass by the bookstore. It has holes punched so it fits in a 3-ring binder. I guess if you get enough of them you will have a comprehensive catalog on how to fix anything boat. :) I think you have to pay to read it online. http://www.diy-boat.com/

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i've been doing about 150 20' to 60'ers a year for about 12 years now. most of the time i like my customers to leave their canvas up and i remove it and store it how they would like, in the boat, hold for pickup, etc. this way the boat is protected right up until i do it. it's even easier if they take down isenglass and just put a cockpit cover on... make sure they vent it properly too.. <br />i'll have to post some pics of the big stuff we do, the 60 aft cabs are quite a sight shrunkwrapped. pics are on my work comp, i'll bring em home tomorrow..