2004 180 BR Problems Please help!

ramelton35

Cadet
I just purchased my first boat and it is a 2004 SR 180 BR with a Mercruiser 3.0L. I have had the boat out several times now and the problems seem to get worse.

First off it is getting more and more difficult to start. The last time I was out it took a long time to get it to turn over and when it did it just died. After a little while I got it to turn over. About a 15 min. hour later I turned the ignition off and it backfired about 5 or 6 times. I turned it off a little while after that and it backfired once. The boat runs good and has no trouble accelerating. Any ideas on the ignition and backfiring?

Also my speedometer stopped working last time I was out. Does a hose or something just need to be blown out? Where is that located?

I was also told by a guy that my bellows on my lower unit were stretched out and should be replaced. He said that if they weren't replaced they could be quite expensive to fix. Not knowing much about boating I had no idea what he is talking about. Is there an advantage to fixing these before they go bad? What happens if they do go bad? He also said that something needs to be trimmed and doesn't look like it can be trimmed anymore. Is he talking about the lower unit trim?

Please help a new boater out, Thanks!

jeepnsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2004 180 BR Problems Please help!

> First off it is getting more and more difficult to start. The last time I was out
> it took a long time to get it to turn over and when it did it just died. After a
> little while I got it to turn over. About a 15 min.

Sounds like the choke is not being set.
I was told in a recent post, give the gas a few pumps which sets the choke...then try to start it.

> I was also told by a guy that my bellows on my lower unit were stretched out
> and should be replaced. He said that if they weren't replaced they could be
> quite expensive to fix. Not knowing much about boating I had no idea what
> he is talking about. Is there an advantage to fixing these before they go bad?
> What happens if they do go bad?

When you're done boating...is there water in the bilge?? If so, the bellows could be leaking. There are three, exhaust, drive shaft, and shift cable. If the drive bellows goes bad, then water can leak into the gimble bearing (NOT GOOD) and eventually ruin it.

Replacing the bellows is not a costly item, but the out drive must be removed. Most shops call this an "Out Drive Service".

* drain drive oil
* pull out drive
* change impeller pump
* change bellows
* inspect ujoint and gimble bearing
* reassemble

The parts don't cost that much..so it's the labor that adds up. I'm in San Diego so shops out here charge:

* $300-$500 for this service

If the gimble bearing and ujoint needs replaced, then add another $500 for parts and labor.

Personally...i would have them change the gimble bearing and ujoints so I don't have to pay the labor cost twice :) but that's just me.

Sam

ramelton35

Cadet

>

> I was also told by a guy that my bellows on my lower unit were stretched out
> and should be replaced. He said that if they weren't replaced they could be
> quite expensive to fix. Not knowing much about boating I had no idea what
> he is talking about. Is there an advantage to fixing these before they go bad?
> What happens if they do go bad?

When you're done boating...is there water in the bilge?? If so, the bellows could be leaking. There are three, exhaust, drive shaft, and shift cable. If the drive bellows goes bad, then water can leak into the gimble bearing (NOT GOOD) and eventually ruin it.

Sam

I have only ever had water come out of the bilge one time. I believe it was mostly rain water. All the other times the bilge has been empty. I have never seen water in there. I pull the rear plug and I would say there is a minimal amount of water. How will I know when/if the billows are bad?

Should the lower unit be stored in the down position so the bellows aren't stretched?

spv22

Cadet

"Backfire"? or did you mean dieseling? you turn it off and it still runs for a little while sputters and such. Mine will do this if you come right off of WOT and kill it like someone fell off the tube and such. if its backfiring then i would say that you have a timing issue. How do the plugs look have they been replaced lately? is there old fuel in the tank? have you replaced the air cleaner?

nlain

Commander

When you are storing the boat the drive should be in the down position, this keeps the bellows in the normal relaxed or compressed position. to inspect the bellows raise the drive to the trailer position and look at them, if you see cracks on the bottom then they are either bad or just about to start leaking. Use trailer position when trailering to and from the ramp, when stored lower the drive, any time you are cleaning the boat after returning home while the drive is all the way up you can look at the bellows when you go back to remove the drain plug. My advice is if you see cracks keep the boat on the trailer until repaired, cracked bellows can cause more expensive repairs they can even sink the boat.

Z33Fan

Recruit

Hi there:
Everyone above has chimed in on your throttle issues; I just got an '04 180 Sport, and found that the throttle (especially at cold start) is a bit tempermental. Give it a bit of extra throttle on starting, then back it down once started and smooth.

Regarding storage; if you can, you'll need to drop the tongue of the trailer almost to the ground to provide clearance for the outdrive to be fully lowered (if your trailer's like mine). I put it on a 2x8 block in front, and that got me just enough clearance for the outdrive. There are two reasons for doing so; first is the bellows as mentioned, but as importantly, you don't want the hydraulic trims to develop a "set" at some point mid-travel.

Best of luck!
-Z33Fan