Trim Tab missing

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just noticed while measuring my prop that the trim tab is missing on my 76' 135hp johnny. Does that cause any real issues? I ask becuz it has a hydrofoil on it. I am also fighting a slow boat and cant imagine this would be the problem. The previous owner was a real dumb sh** and I'm finding things as I go.
Does anyone have one with the bolt they would sell me??? Its 4.50 diameter.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Trim Tab missing

The function of the tab is to balance the steering. I would expect your boat has a tendency to pull to port or stbd, unless it has hydraulic steering. Easily replaced if needed. Check BRP Evinrude site for the part number and price.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I just told you on the other site that you posted on the tab has to be there for prop hub cooling and prop shaft seal cooling.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I just told you on the other site that you posted on the tab has to be there for prop hub cooling and prop shaft seal cooling.
The tab has nothing to do with either.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The tab has a small hole in it on the leading edge which feeds water to the exhaust area when under way. With out the tab you could burn up the prop hub or prop seals. But what do I Know? I've only been in this OMC business for 45 yrs.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The tab has a small hole in it on the leading edge which feeds water to the exhaust area when under way. With out the tab you could burn up the prop hub or prop seals. But what do I Know? I've only been in this OMC business for 45 yrs.

I did not know this...............