Starter Problems???

gwpuma

Cadet
I have a Mercruiser 3.0lx. Turn the key and get clicking noise. I've looked through the FORUM but seem to find the same answers. New Fully charged battery.Connections all tight and clean. Tried jumping it with same clicking noise. Tried tapping it with a hammer. It appears that the starter isn't engaging the flywheel. I've been told that the interrupter switch could cause this. But the boat is out of water and on muffs. The Flywheel will turn manually.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter Problems???

If it`s a soft click(slave solenoid) hammering the starter wont help.

gwpuma

Cadet

I dont think its a "soft click" but i wouldnt describe it as a Loud on either...

Even if i jump it?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

either there is a poor battery cable connection, bad starter solenoiod, bad starter.
have you tried jumping the starter solenoid?
have you tried jumper cables to the starter lug to see if the starter motor turns?

gwpuma

Cadet

I have tried that but unable to see it spin but it is attached. Are you suggestioning i do this appart?

K9Deuce

Seaman Apprentice

Ck the grounds both at the engine block (should be several wires attached to the engine block above the starter area, also ck the ground at the battery. I would remove both grounds clean them real good with a wire brush and reinstall them. A poor ground can cause this problem.
Several times I have seen the same issue where a new battery was installed starter ck'd fine, and even with a jumper box hooked up starter would click. If you have a bad ground you will not engage the soleniod and hold it in place, ie it will make a chatter noise.
Good Luck

ahendri

Seaman Apprentice

i am having problems also with engaging the fly wheel but it seems as though the starter is just spinning a load roaring noise but doesnt sound like it is grinding the flywheel.. any suggestions