minn kota extreme 70

robertprenatt

Recruit
Have a used minn kota exteme 24 volt trolling motor,
the plug that was given to me was cut off when i went to pick it up.

the plug is a 3 wire plug, red black and orange.

four wires come out of the motor 2 red two black

How do I hook this up for this motor? being a 24 volt motor

should I just hook one set red and black to one battery
and one set to the other or is this not right?

any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

nbnewbie

Seaman
Re: minn kota extreme 70

i'm not familiar with 4 wires from the motor it's usually 2 or 3 the purpose of the 3 wire plug is to provide 12 and 24 volts to the motor so normally 2 bat connected in series - of bat 1 to + of bat 2 + of bat 1 and - of bat 2 provides 24 volts coming off the - and + of either bat provides 12 volts so the 3 wire plug is usually black = ground red = 12 volts orange = 24 volts from the motor normally 2 (1 red 1 black) black = ground red = 24 volts no need for 12 volts in on older trolling motors low speed was run off 12 volts high speed run off 24 volts thus the need for 3 wires (clear as mud right?)
now with all that said yours might have a 12 volt circuit and a 24 volt circuit each with individual ground wires thus the 2 reds and 2 blacks but i've never seen that before minn-kota probably has a manual online you can look up by sn# good luck and i realize probably most if not all of what i just told you - you already knew no offense intended hooking one set to one bat and a set to the other bat will be only 12 volts going to the motor