Girl thought she was gonna swim 3 miles back to dock!!!!

Dkrager

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So over the weekend of the 4th. We were out on our local lake (small but enjoyable 750 acres). It was late afternoon, we pulled up to the beach so we could set the grill up. It's not a marked swimming beach, but is the party spot, boats beach up and party. Anyways this drunk girl was roaming the beach, we noticed that she was highly entoxicated.

As we were pulling out and noticed she was out in the water swimming around. She was out about 100 yards or so, but is still only 4' deep or so. But one of my passengers said hang on a min. So we just floated for a bit. Yea she was swimming away from the beach, NO LIFEJACKET !!!!!!! One of my passengers kind of knew her from church or something. Turns out she was only 18. So we pull up and demand her to climb aboard.

We gave her a ride back up to the docks. Tried to look up her parents number, but it was disconnected. So we at least got her to land.

Never know, I guess we could have saved her life...... We asked who she came to the lake with, and she said they left her there. Just a shame......

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Girl thought she was gonna swim 3 miles back to dock!!!!

You did the right thing...... good job.

woosterken

Lieutenant

wow, you found her floatin free, do you get to keep her? :)

woosterken

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good for you to help her out. But I doubt it was 3 miles to the dock on a 750 acre lake unless she was doing laps.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

3 miles is possible.....here in WV our lakes are "man made" and many times long and narrow. Our local :confused:258 acre lake stretches a long ways.....I may be wrong but I think just under 1 mile. Will check it out next time we go, but regardless a drunk girl would not make it one mile, let alone 3.

DrWiffel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

18Y.O. she might have been able to do it, but she sure wasn't being safe about it. Good for you for stopping her.

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

You probably saved her life. My daughter's friend lost his brother a week ago from drowning. He and his girlfriend were camping and decided to swim across the lake at 3am. The girlfriend got tired and turned back. They never saw him again until the police recovered his body the next day. They were intoxicated.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Good one. We need to watch out for each other, and especially those that might not know any better.

When my kids were young teenagers and we had the drinking episodes (luckily only once with my kid, but then again a couple more times with the friends), of course they had consequences, but the main thing I wanted them - and their friends to know - was that THEY SHOULD ALWAYS WATCH OUT FOR EACH OTHER AND NEVER ABANDON A FRIEND. My kid learned to do this and we tried to cultivate a relationship where they wouldn't try to hide every mistake they made so we could teach them that there were shades of error and they could actually be complimented if they found themselves or their friends in a mistake, but then did the right thing from that point on.

Kids will be kids and making mistakes with drinking and drugs might (probably will) happen. That's one thing, but they also have to learn to stay in control and minimize the damage, including their friends. The worst things they can do is drive while intoxicated and not watch out for each other.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Dkrager,

I sent you a PM.

Dkrager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good for you to help her out. But I doubt it was 3 miles to the dock on a 750 acre lake unless she was doing laps.

Ok sorry, I looked at the map. 2.5 miles. It's pretty narrow. Just saying, drunk she probably couldn't make it a 1/4 mile to the other side. There were plenty of other boats in the area, but who knows if anyone was paying any attention to her. It was early evening and everyone else was worried about partying.

foodfisher

Captain

You saved her life. Karma owes you one.