Bellows Adhesive anything better

Status
Not open for further replies.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a damaged lip on the gimble assemble, but it looks like there is enough lip left to get a good seal.
What I want is to add an extra bead of glue around the lip on the inside of the bellows to create another seal.
What I need is a good oil resistant, flexible, adhears to bellows, adhears to the alum glue or silicone.

I have used a product called vulkem 116 caulking (polyurethane sealant) for various things and it always stick to anything I have tried it on. However I am not 100% sure it is oil resistant enough.

Any ideas for a better product.
Silicone normally does not stick very good.

Re: Bellows Adhesive anything better

Are you going to try that repair kit in your other post? Just curious,

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I saw your other post as well. I too had a similar problem a few years ago. The lip was corroded away - but the groove was still there. I tried gluing, etc, and felt like it had a good bond, but it would still leak. There was no way I was going to pay what they were asking for the repair kit, so I ended up buying a good used transom assembly. If you shop around, you can usually pick one up for not too much money. Certainly less than the repair kit.

I think finding a miracle glue is simply wishful thinking. Sorry. :(

elkhunter338

I looked again tonight and there is enough lip left to get the full clamping of the hose clamp if I push the bellows all the way on to the stops. It looks like there are three bumps that the bellow should push up against.
I am testing a spot of vulkem caulk on the bellows right now to see how well it sticks to the bellows. If it sticks good I am going to try using the vulkem caulking to glue the bellows in place, clamp, then add a large bead of caulking on the inside.
I will also plan to keep a test spot of caulking in the shop covered with grease to see if the oil attacks the caulking. My past experience with this caulking is it seems to be oil resistant and sticks to everything. The only negative is it takes about 5 days to cure.

I used it to stick alum to glass for a window handle and 3 years later it is still holding. The actual windsheild rear view mirror glue only lasted acouple of years before the alum handle fell off.
I will let you know how it works or does not work. The only thing I will be out is gasket and maybe another gimble bearing. But if it works I do not have to pull the engine and repair costs will be minimal.

I will pull the drive after a test run, then a few more times as I use the boat. My u-joints still feel ok so I am going to leave them, the bellows look good so I will give this $50 repair a try, I think I have nothing to loose.

I will take pictures if by chance this works.

cr2k

Captain

You might consider the bellows with out the ridge, you may be able to slip it on the damaged ring a little further.

elkhunter338

The bellows I have really does not have a ridge, just a mark where it has been clamped on for the last few years. I cleaned the old bellows up in soap and water and I see no cracks or holes, rubber is still nice. I am going to reuse it for now, the way everything looks I think the water was seeping around the gimble hose clamp because it wasnot very tight. When I installed the bellows I torqued according to the book, but in the future I am going to check all those hose clamps every season.
I am still waiting for the vulkem to dry on my test spot to see how it sticks, that stuff takes days to cure.

fishrdan

Admiral

vulkem 116 caulking (polyurethane sealant)

Polyurethane sealants are moisture cured. Take a couple moist paper towels and stick them in the bellow, wrap a moist towel around the outside of the bellow joint and bag the whole thing. Come back the next day and it should be cured. I do this with 3M 5200 and it cures it quickly, about 24 hours. I would let the bellows dry well before putting it back together, don't want to rust up anything.

dakine

Seaman

images

dakine

Seaman

That's 3M 1300 Gasket Adhesive.

I get it from Ellsworth Adhesives on the web.

tejastoolman

Seaman Apprentice

soooooooo..... did any of those adhesives work out well? It's bellows & coors in my garage tonight thought I'd ask since I'm gonna be passing a place on the way home that carry both :)

Status
Not open for further replies.