why does my boat turn right?

conron

Seaman
I have a 1986 starline 16' w/ a merc 120 and alpha one drive unit. the boat wants to pull right as if it were out of alignment like a car and I have to fight it pushing it left just to keep it straight..real easy to turn right but going left is a different story its kind of hard and the boat leans to the left when going, all this is at WOT, no problems at half throttle or less and I read about the trim tab and I have it turned as far to the left as it will go, as looking at it from the rear. is there any suggestions because I'm lost? Thanks

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: why does my boat turn right?

Tilt your drive up, move the trailing edge of the torque tab to 1:00 That should take care of your problem...

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 1986 starline 16' w/ a merc 120 and alpha one drive unit. the boat wants to pull right as if it were out of alignment like a car and I have to fight it pushing it left just to keep it straight..real easy to turn right but going left is a different story its kind of hard and the boat leans to the left when going, all this is at WOT, no problems at half throttle or less and I read about the trim tab and I have it turned as far to the left as it will go, as looking at it from the rear. is there any suggestions because I'm lost? Thanks

The trailing edge of the trim tab always goes in the direction that the boat wants to go...in your case, starboard (right).

If I read your post correctly, you have moved the trim tab in the wrong direction...and compounded your issue.

Happy boating!

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Yes, you turned it in the wrong direction. The trim tab does not act like a rudder. It compensates for the torque of the prop.
v

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

1:00 does it...maybe 1:30

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

1:00 does it...maybe 1:30

Is that Eastern time...or Central???

Only kidding! I like that reference...it is almost impossible to tell anyone what to do with their trim tab. Our 'trailing edge' always ends up as someone's front edge...and vice versa!

Happy boating!

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Is that Eastern time...or Central???

Only kidding! I like that reference...it is almost impossible to tell anyone what to do with their trim tab. Our 'trailing edge' always ends up as someone's front edge...and vice versa!

Happy boating!

Well hopefully, our OP realizes that even though his drive is tilted up, which end of the tab is still "trailing"...:D

conron

Seaman

thanks it worked....I was going the wrong way