Sea Ray engine dies, very hard starting

ucsmoke

Recruit
Looking for a little help from some smart people. I am looking at a 1994 Sea Rayder jet boat with a sport jet 90 engine. The guy that is selling the boat says says that it has been services every year by the dealer he has bought it from and they say it runs great but every time he gets it to the lake it takes 20min to get it started. He took it to the lake this last weekend and when he eventually got it started it died when he put it in gear and would not start again. I am a mechanic for a living and know this could be many different problems but i was wondering if this was a common problem before i wasted my time to drive 2 hours to look at the boat the guy want $1200 for the boat. Boats are not my cup of tea but the rest of the boat is in great shape and i am looking to buy the boat if it is possibly an easy fix.. thanks for any help on this issue.

wezley5150

Recruit
Re: Sea Ray engine dies, very hard starting

I've had a 94 Sea Rayder for about 4 years and when I got it, it was always a pain the the *** to start. One thing that really helped out was placing a manual primer bulb in between the fuel tank and the fuel pump, This helped significantly! These motors have self priming pump, but it's pretty weak in my opinion. In addition to that I replaced my starter and put a HUGE dual purpose battery in it 1100 cranking amps (dual purpose not necessary unless you have a stereo or other accesories). Great little boats for the money....

Bring
On
Another
Thousand!