Drain Plug O-ring Problem

1999vista258

Cadet
I have a 1999 volvo penta 5.7GSI engine with Model-DPS outdrive. I have had the boat 6 years and never had this problem before. When replacing the drain plug and tightening it up the o-ring on the collar of the plug gets lifted out of the grove and then sits at the head of the plug. This only happens when the out drive is full, when it's empty the o-ring sits in position correctly. I normally use the green marine grease on the o-ring, but a local person suggested I use quicksilver 101 grease. That did not help either.

Anyone else face this problem? Any help is appreciated, the summer is passing quickly here in the norh east.

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Drain Plug O-ring Problem

You should be replacing that seal each time you remove the plug. I just use the gear lube to lubricate the o ring when installing it. Never had a problem. When installing the drain plug, it usually gets plenty of gear lube on it in the process.

Volvo doesn't use Merc 101 grease on anything.

1999vista258

Cadet
Re: Drain Plug O-ring Problem

Don, tks but I do replace the o-ring each year. This is the first year I have encountered this problem. I thought maybe I was given the wrong o-ring so I went to a different dealership and got more of them. Still the same problem. I have gone through 6-8 o-rings and each one gets either chewed up or lifted out of the grove when tightening the plug. I'm thinking of buying a new drain plug as I am at a loose of what else to try. Any ideas?

I even hired a well known marine mechanic and he had the same problem. He said he would do some research and has not seen this before.

tks