Water pooling behind rear seats

a70eliminator

Captain
Looking for some ideas to remedy this, any water from swimming or rain comming through my cover will pool in the corners either side of the transom behind the rear seats before making it's way to the bilge, I can have a dry bilge yet 1/2 gal of water laying on the deck behind the rear seats both sides.
I was thinking about building up glass mat and resin to make that area higher but thought maybe there's an easier less evasive solution if anyone has an idea?
The only thing that bother me is my trim pump on one side and the battery on the other side always wet.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Water pooling behind rear seats

I have pondered this my self and the best I could come up with is slightly raising and tapering the area to drain in to the bilge with some fiberglass body filler. You could reinforce with some light cloth if you want. Don't forget to taper the rear seat bases if affected.

a70eliminator

Captain

Well it's a rainy day today so I'm back on this little problem, I've attached a couple photos of what it looks like when water starts to pool, I added a drop of blue food coloring, you can see it's going to take another 1/2 gallon or so before the water makes it's way over the high spot to the bilge, after a day of swimming I have to get back there and mop it up (pain in the) or it lays there and condenses everything up, last year I cut that section of carpet out that used to go all the way back.

Attachments

• boating WB 009.jpg
    boating WB 009.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 0
  • boating WB 010.jpg
    boating WB 010.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 0

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

this is a very simple trick I read about here to keep a bilge dry ...most bilge pumps only remove most of the water...the post I read , said to shove a piece of light cloth through your drain plug , and let the part inside the boat rest in the lowest part of the bilge...the other end hanging out of the drain ...this will 'wick' the water out...in your case, lay some cloth from the corners and let the other end hang into the bilge area on each side...and one more from the bilge through the drain...the cloth hanging out of your drain makes a nice " looks like I need to put the plug in " reminder flag, before launching your boat...pull the flag , install the plug...lol

a70eliminator

Captain

I think a wet rag laying back there would't be much better, the bilge drain wick does work though, when your wick is outside the confines of the bilge and evaporates causing a thermol siphon if you will. I don't think it will work for me here.
I am contemplating getting out the grinder and cutting a grove without going all the way through then seal it with resin to form a drain channel.
Either that or pour some resin to build up the rear corners, but I'm worried that will cause water to just pool further forward. I'll mock it up first with some putty or something just to see what it does.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

ok , run the cloth from the corners out the drain...try it, see if it works

rbh

Fleet Admiral

If there is no sump area I am pretty sure you and the mop
will become close friends. :p :D

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Has something settled/moved/warped to cause these 2 areas to be low? If so, building up the area might just be masking another more series problem. Instead of mopping them up, how about using a window squeegee and pulling the water to the bilge?

a70eliminator

Captain

No other problems, bilge is always dry, dripping wet swimmers and a little rain water is the only time water sits here in the corners, access is limited to unscrewing the seat bases and backs, I can just get my arm back in there one the battery side, can't get to the other side without unscrewing seat back and built in cooler, in the pictures I have the seat back and bases removed and thats a job in itself.
This is the second time I'm attempting to fix this but it looks like I may abandon ship and just live with it, heck it's a 1990 boat and it survived this long.
easiest thing would be to do a resin pour in the corners but it would take a gallon on each side.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Here is what I would do. Where the black line is run something from the side and direct it to the bilge. Glass a piece of rope, glue a length of fuel hose or rub rail, or a strip of plywood or flat aluminum. Wouldn't have to be very tall or wide, just sealed to direct water. Just a strip of cualking may do it if nothing is going to disturb it. Heck I bet the gray double tape/putty for installing baths would even do it.

11gm26s.jpg

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Here is what I would do. Where the black line is run something from the side and direct it to the bilge. Glass a piece of rope, glue a length of fuel hose or rub rail, or a strip of plywood or flat aluminum. Wouldn't have to be very tall or wide, just sealed to direct water. Just a strip of cualking may do it if nothing is going to disturb it. Heck I bet the gray double tape/putty for installing baths would even do it.

11gm26s.jpg

interesting idea...might be as easy as a tall bead of 3M 5200 or two....

a70eliminator

Captain

Lionhunter thanks for your time, right where you drew the line is just about exactly where the waterline is when it spills over to the bilge, your method would work except for when the water comes in from behind, between the sun deck and the swim platform where dripping wet swimmers climb in.
I think the I'm going to just build the area up with.... I don't know what.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Lionhunter thanks for your time, right where you drew the line is just about exactly where the waterline is when it spills over to the bilge, your method would work except for when the water comes in from behind, between the sun deck and the swim platform where dripping wet swimmers climb in.
I think the I'm going to just build the area up with.... I don't know what.

I'm thinking something you can mix together and pour in.... a few levels of fiberglass resin? Start with the bow high while on the trailer,...and after a few pours, lower the tongue of the trailer down and pour another layer or two...

a70eliminator

Captain

I ended up using some ummm.. clear throat...ummm .. BONDO
Going to brush a topcoat of polyester resin tomorrow after a little sanding, did both sides and now every last bit of water runs into the bilge, thank you thank you..

Attachments

• boating WB 012.jpg
    boating WB 012.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 0

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I ended up using some ummm.. clear throat...ummm .. BONDO
Going to brush a topcoat of polyester resin tomorrow after a little sanding, did both sides and now every last bit of water runs into the bilge, thank you thank you..

Put a layer of CSM or two on top to keep the bondo from being punctured and water seeping in.

If you havent done the other side yet, use the resin with chopped mat in it and that will hold up better.

a70eliminator

Captain

Thanks I will do that, I used the filler only because it shapes real easy with a cheese grader type rasp, had to play a little to get the pitch just right, but yea I'l maybe apply 1 layer of finishing cloth, especially because the battery sits right on it I'll post the a pic when done.