Reason enough to back out of a buying this boat??

jjweav

Recruit
I'm looking at a Scout 191 Bayboat. It's a 2010 hull with a 2006 Yamaha 4-stroke 150. It's a beautiful boat and it's got all the extras. I'm getting it for 20k. The engine had a blown powerhead, so the dealer just put in a new powerhead, lower unit, and oil pump.

Yesterday, we went out for a test run. It was running great for about 5 mins, and then just shut down. Still don't know what the problem is, his mechanic is looking at it.

So now I'm torn; do I give the dealer benefit of the doubt and give him a chance to fix it or do I walk away right now? He's a private dealer and he's been great working with me so far. We know him through a friend of a friend and I haven't heard anything bad about him. I know the powerhead and lower unit are brand new, so I have no reason to doubt that he didn't change the oil pump as well. I didn't even ask him to, he just said he thought it needed it so he went ahead and changed it out. But at the same time, 20k is a lot of money for us right now. I just feel like this is a great deal (if it's running like new), but I don't want to flush that money down the drain.

Thanks for reading, what would you do?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Reason enough to back out of a buying this boat??

I would give him a chance to fix it and run it again, that is alot of work and it would have been easy to miss something, it is essentially a new engine.

He sounds like a pretty straight shooter, small shops don't stay in buisness by ripping people off, maybe get some kind of warranty on the engine.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

Is he Yamaha Certified? Is he a Yahama Dealer?

If not the odds are against him as far as having the training to work on such a sophisticated engine. There are Yahama Trained mechanics that seem to have difficulty working on the engines.

Having said that, and not having met the man, he could very well be one of those individuals that are born mechanics, not just parts changers. You want to be sure as you will be seeing a lot of him until the engine is broken in and the "bugs" are worked out.

Be advised that most of the value in a used boat - which is what yours will be as soon as you sign the title transfer, is in the motor, not the hull.

And even if it does have a new power head, what is the engine worth w/o the hull?

One of the reasons people buy used hulls is because it's cheaper to put their own power option on a used boat than to buy the same hull new.

And hulls don't change that much from year to year. In fact, I have heard that some manufacturers just change the ser.# on in-stock boat hulls to the new year date. (Don't know this for a fact - just repeating gossip.)

Just a point of interest, maybe you could find a "new -old stock" boat out there that you could get into for the same money with all the warranties in place. I know there are some great deals floating around (pun intended), you just need to look.

Try googling.

jjweav

Recruit

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah, he has a contracted mechanic that is Yamaha certified, and I've heard from others that he is a top-notch mechanic.

I also understand about the power being the bread and butter of the boat. My reasoning behind going with this boat, is that like 5150 mentioned, after everything that they are doing to this engine, it's basically going to be like new. The powerhead has a one year warranty, as does the lower unit. Don't know about the oil pump, but I'm sure it's got a warranty as well.

I'll keep looking around though, in the meantime while he's having the engine looked at. Thanks again for the info.

Jeremy

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Don't know the new cost of the boat but for that much money and if the dealer is confindent in their work I would ask for a new boat warranty. It is a 2010 after all, not likes it's really used.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to iboats. We just love our Scout and I bet you will too, assuming you go with this boat.

I'd want to be real clear on exactly what kind of warranty you're getting on that motor. As someone else mentioned that's a big job they just undertook and small glitches are probably a given until they work out the kinks. You don't want to be on the hook for another diagnostic diassembly though once you get it home.

Another question might be does he have any other motors that are viable options? Scout actually recommends 115 as the perfect motor for that boat (although 150 is not above its max rating). Perhaps you could either save some money going with a good used 115 or for the same money get a new 115 and all the peace of mind that goes with that option.). Why is a 2006 got a blown powerhead anyway? What else on that engine is about ready to let go - gear set or other maybe? Yamahas are well-built, quality motors so that would be a real red flag for me.

Scouts are strong but relatively light hulls so for ourselves, the Yammy 90 on the back of our 175 Dorado is good for an easy 40 mph WOT. Not a hot rod, certainly but perfectly reasonable. I loaf along at 25 mph / 3900 rpm most of the time anyway. You of course may have different speed needs :).

Also, is he a Scout/Yamaha dealer? If not, get in touch with one to compare prices against a completely new package.

Good luck whatever way you go and of course.....post us some pics! Us Scout owners are a relatively rare breed here...:)

Edit - sorry just went back and saw it has a new lower u too. Still - consider other motor options