transom leak, possible exhaust o-ring or transom seal?

ker

Cadet
So I have a leak im still trying to track down, I have tracked it to the transom plate, but obviously cant see in there because the motor is still there. Before I yank the motor out I wanted to get an idea what I might need to replace. Its coming from the area around the transom plate where the exhaust gets bolted down. Is it a common problem for the exhaust o-ring to leak at the transom plate? Or should I expect the trasnsom seal to be the main culprit?

--Also, if I need to replace the transom seal, when removing the transom plate does the gimbal ring really need to be removed? It would appear that I would have to drill holes into the gimbal housing to remove it, it seems like it could stay on there since the plate bolts from inside the boat.

BTW 1995 5.0L w/ Alpha1 GenII

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: transom leak, possible exhaust o-ring or transom seal?

The exaust (Y pipe if a V motor) could be leaking. Never had the O ring go bad ,but.....................
just remove the drive, nothing else.
Yuor manual is in the Adults Only section.

ker

Cadet

I should also mention that I did some further testing this morning. I left the boat on the trailer and backed it partially in the water, just so the water was at/above the shift boot...no leak. I backed in a few more inches till it started floating, and it starts to leak, never lowered the drive, never started the motor.

I did the outdrive about 2 weeks ago and no water in any of the bellows.

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

i agree with the doctur,pull the drive first,less work and money....good luck