car engine swap possible?

dennis1980

Cadet
I was thinking of buying a boat with an inboard in it so if the motor goes and its too much $$$ to fix i would dump a 350 in it ive heard it can and cant be done does anyone know,thanks

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: car engine swap possible?

Yes.. It can be done.. (I've done it twice) Excellent results... :D <br /><br />Chevy 350 long block, only a few things need to be changed..<br /><br />#1 if the engine is "raw water cooled", you will need the remove the old steel freeze plugs and install brass freeze plugs... If the engine will be freshwater cooled in a closed cooling system with a heat exchanger and coolant (anti-freeze), then you can get away with steel freeze plugs... <br /><br />#2 (these are the most important items) You must use a Marine carbuerator, flame arrestor, fuel pump, distributor, starter, and alternator... (guys, what'd I forgit here?)<br /><br />#3 The topic of great debate, "CAMSHAFTS"... <br />Some will say "a marine camshaft is an absolute must"... I say "a marine cam is not necessary in most cases"... Low to mid rpm range power is the ticket... The top end power will take care of itself.. Basicly a stock "truck" camshaft profile and a "marine" cam profile are very much the same...

dennis1980

Cadet

thanks fellas thats exactly what i needed ill have to start shopping now

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I were doing this motor, and intended to keep it a while, and/or run it more than moderately hard, I'd also be looking for the "HD" con rods & a forged crank. Both of which are typically found in both marine & truck motor environments...<br /><br />And if you can afford a few extra $$'s (probably less than $100 extra), I would look a 4-bolt main block, which would also be a decided plus for strength, as it is less prone to distortion under load... (also typically found in marine and truck use environments)<br /><br />Good Luck, Obiwan

dennis1980

Cadet

Im not planning on running the heck out of it i just figured i got burned on my outboard, and parts arent cheap for outboards so if i used a old chevy motor i could do a rebuild for under 500 dollars--------------------------------------- Is that the problem people have when doing this that there is too much load or is it that there is not enough?

Bondo

Staff member

The 4 bolt block is no doubt better.... But Not nessesary... Few Marine motors are 4 bolt.. Only the 1s from Merc. Racing.. The H.O.s.... Same with the Forged Cranks.... <br />The Standard Small Block Chevy Rarely has bottom end problems.... If you want to spend extra money, Have it Balanced.... The return on the investment is 10fold....<br />Most of the boats on the water today have 2 bolt Blocks,+ Cast Cranks...<br />I agree with Snapperbait on the cam question... A good truck/ RV cam is perfect....

Would a 305 or 350 bolt onto my sterndrive with no other changes or would I have to replace the whole sterndrive. I have a OMC 800 sterndrive.

Juancho

Seaman

It depends what you mean by bolt on? To me bolt on means no modification required at all. So in that case the answer would be no. The bell housing maybe an issue, along with the gearing in your outdrive.