Torque Shift Prop

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Do they work as well as advertised? They seem to be just the ticket for a great hole shot as well as a good top end. <br />Almost sounds too good to be true :rolleyes: . Any first hand experience with 'em on I/O's? <br /><br />My boat is pretty beefy at 4,500#. 23' cuddy with 260 Merc. EFI (Alpha drive).

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Torque Shift Prop

arks----I have been experimenting with one for about a month. Out of the box, it gets my rig on plane and running about 30 in under 4 seconds. Top speed is about the same and I am not getting quite enough RPM at wide open throttle.<br /><br />I need to take the thing apart and start over again with adjustments. You must dial down the high end pitch to match your engine and boat design. I have the model that starts at 13 pitch and shifts up to 26----I need it to shift to about 22 pitch for proper load on my engine/drive.<br /><br />So far, I love it. Some have complained about vibration, but I think they must not have adjusted the prop the way the book says to do it.<br /><br />Not sure what happens when I hit something, which if you have boated very long, you know you will hit something. Many prop shops will not work on these torque shifts because you have to dismantle the thing and work on one blade at a time.

Bondo

Staff member

I've got 1,+ Will Never go boating without it Again......<br />I Love It...<br />My little 4.3l Pulls like a 454....

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Hmmm....positive replies!<br />I've got an oppurtunity to buy a used one, so I think I'll go ahead and get it. It'll cost me about the same as the new stainless prop I was going to get. Their website looks pretty good- replacement parts, technical assistance, etc.<br /><br />Just what I need - another thing to tinker with!<br /><br />Thanks for the replies.

Bondo

Staff member

Go for It...<br />It's a Great Prop for about Any boating application... <br />You'll want to "Tune" it to your needs... It's not to bad... I got the measuring stick from L&S,+ a set of cams, all 3 sets of springs, 1 new blade(Wacked it 3rd time out)....<br />The Only Problem I've had with Anything about it is the fellow at the other end of the phone at L&S.... His name is Richard,+ he really is a D*ck.... He's quite Rude.. Like you're Wasting His Time....<br />Anyway, I've got mine so it'll hang in low gear quite late... this is for trolling at off-idle.... Motors Love to run at 1000/1200rpms, for hours at a time(2,3mph).... At dead-idle I can get down to 1mph with the tabs down..... To cruise, I have to over-trim once on-plane to force the prop to shift... Then trim down,+ make a mile....

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Bill-----I can't seem to get the rpm at wide open throttle to get much over 4000. Do I need a different size blade? I have dialed down the torque limit screws about as far as they can go. Have you tried a different size blade, or tried having a prop shop cut them down? They are at least an inch longer than the blades on my OEM Quicksilver prop.----Doug

Bondo

Staff member

Doug,<br />Take the prop apart... run the screws in till they're flush with the blade side of the hub.... this should get the overall pitch down to 17" or so.... Then adjust out from there... Be Sure to keep the # of turns Equal on all the screws....<br /><br />Original blades.....

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Bill----had it apart and got the screws all set. I've got them cranked down now to where they are almost cutting grooves in the plastic diffuser ring. I'll take another look.<br /><br />I might need the stronger springs too----Shifts pretty early---Doug

guylain

Cadet

I have one in my dest of my garage, because i lose two blades. I have a wellcraft elite with 460 ford omc i/o drive cobra and saveral time i return at my home with the 'cam'is cracked. My motor have 335hp and a mecanical saw my the prop. construction is light for this horse power? I DONT TNING buy anothers blade if this story is thru.<br /><br /> SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH I BEGIN BUT I PRACTICE!<br /> Guylain

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Guy---there is a warning with this prop that it can only take a maximum of I think 2500 rpm at the prop shaft----not sure of your setup but you may be cranking it too fast with that motor.

Bondo

Staff member

Doug, <br />You maybe In To Deep(Bet you don't hear that Often enough)<br />The screws should be just flush with the alu. body, where the little horn on the blade, contacts the screw.....(hope that makes sense)<br />With the 45lb. springs, I Have to over-trim to shift up.... I'm thinking of dropping back to the 30s, But I like the way it holds back when Trolling....<br />My little 4.3l in a 2ton boat, will Rip your head Off, When I Drop the Throttle....<br /><br />Guylain,<br />Do you want to sell the parts you have left ????

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Bill---thanks---I do appreciate your help.<br /><br />I might have the wrong cam setup.<br /><br />What cams are you running? I have the X cam and I think I might need the Z cam with a lower pitch on both ends of the spectrum.<br /><br />I really need about 400-600 more rpm to be in the comfort zone and I don't think the limit screws are going to give me that much.

Bondo

Staff member

Yep, I've got the Z cams.....

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

guylain...<br />been watching this thread with interest... I have a L&S torque-shift prop, model 632, which I purchased slightly used on e-bay, after speaking with L&S rep (forgot his name), who told me he was confident it would work...<br /><br />Now I have it, I can't get the boat to go on plane, so I call L&S again to get some help with selecting cams, etc... This time I get to speak with "D*ck"... I agree with bondo, he IS a D*ck... "D*ck" tells me, it will NEVER work on my application because it's too slow of a boat... (24ft Mako CC, with a Johnson 235 OB...), so don't EVEN bother to try...<br /><br />So now I have a L&S torque-shift prop (model 632) that will fit a mercruiser or johnson big-case OB, or ??? (basically, anything with 15-spline shafts and the "large" dia. gear case)...<br /><br />anyone interested in this unit? let me know, I'd be happy to recoup what I have in it...<br /><br />Obiwan

guylain

Cadet

obiwan<br /><br />my shaft on my OMC cobra have 15 splines, i need to know if your hub fit on my shaft, i want to know, what price for the kit. And if you have some paper on the application of the 632 model, you can fax me at # 1-819-825-9118. And i speek english just a litlle bit and i dont know what is a D*ck ?<br /><br />Thank you

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry cant resist....<br /><br />if you want to know what a D*ck is, open your pants and look down. Its between your legs if<br />your male.... <br /><br />Tallman

Bondo

Staff member

ob1jeeper,<br />Unfortunately D*ck Maybe Right..... At least This Time....<br />I couldn't find the 632 listed, But, there are basicly 4 different props available... A 26"max.pitch,+ a 32"max pitch(your prop)... Both sizes in a Solid hub, or a rubber hub.... You'd No Doubt do Much better with the 26"max prop...<br />guylain, I'm sure ob1jeeper's prop will fit your outdrive.... <br />The difference between the merc,+ OMC's splines is the length of the cut on the shaft.... In other words, An OMC prop will slide onto a Merc propshaft, But a Merc prop will not slide onto an OMC propshaft.....<br />The L&S will slide onto Either.....

guylain

Cadet

Thank to bondo<br /><br />obiwan, I have 926 = 26'' max. pitch is probabely better for your application. And you have 632( I thing its a 832)=32,,max. of pitch is probabely better for my application. What price for your blade. And I go on the lake for search my other blade.

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

My rig must be right on the borderline between the smaller and larger blad/cam setups.<br /><br />I am going to try a "hybrid" with the shorter cams and stronger springs.<br /><br />I'll be back on the board after more testing.<br /><br />Have to find another $100 someplace to hide from the CEO at home to make this switch.