Fuel tank bow or aft

scubastevebc

Recruit
I am restoring a 1959 Hydroswift (16.5 feet) that I found in very poor shape. It has a v hull flat bottom, not a deep V. As far as I can tell from taking it all apart right now the fuel tank was located up in the bow. My question is should I place it in the bow, or would it be better stability and functionally in the stern. Any input would be great. thanks in advance

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fuel tank bow or aft

i have 21 ft starcraft that had/has a bow tank. the po told me he had trouble get fuel from it to the mtr. like it didn't have enough pull. i don't know how much an outboard can draw. i plan on keeping the bow tank and possible using it to fill a stern tank with a seperate fuel pump

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I mounted a "portable" 12 gallon tank under the closed bow of my last boat using cooler brackets and it worked great. I had the max HP on my boat so it was already a bit stern heavy. Any weight I gould move up front was helpful. The motor had no issues pulling the fuel from up there.

DSCF1927.jpg

scubastevebc

Recruit

Thanks for the replies... I like the fact someone has there tank up front and its working.. makes me feel better. I am running a heavy motor in the back so it will help with the weight for sure.