Screwing down the carpet

the gaffer

Cadet
Hi

As it has with previous boats I have owned the snap clips on the carpet in my 2008 Regal 1900 have come away from the carpet itself and now it flaps around when I get up any real speed.

I was thinking of just unscrewing all the bottoms of the snap clips that are attached to the deck and inserting slightly larger screws into the holes, through the top of the capret with a washer on the upper side to pin the carpet in place, put some caps on the tops of the screws and I should be good to go.

Anyone else come up any other way to secure their carpet once the snap fitting screw up?

gaffer

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Screwing down the carpet

Snap-caps work well, as you said, but you may want to think about 3/4" #8 Oval heads with finish washers. Smooth and clean install, won't bother the feet, unless you burr the heads...

But you want to think about water/moisture that will get under that carpeting. The snaps make it relatively easy to pull up and let things dry out. You sure you want to do this?

the gaffer

Cadet

Well the way I figure it will take me 10 minutes to unscrew the carpets when I get back home as there is only around 25 total, one concern was that is I am screwing the screws in and out all the time I am likely to strip the heads or create bigger and bigger holes in the deck of the boat.

Gaffer

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would replace the snaps, the screw down half is easy to replace and with a dremel you should be able to replace the snap in the carpet easily as well. Or take it to an upholstery shop and let them do it. I would not screw your carpet down though, that is just begging for rot.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would replace the snaps, the screw down half is easy to replace and with a dremel you should be able to replace the snap in the carpet easily as well. Or take it to an upholstery shop and let them do it. I would not screw your carpet down though, that is just begging for rot.

+1

Unless your boat isn't that great to start with..screwing it down would my last option.

Ian

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Our SeaRay came from the factory with the carpet screwed down. It's never caused a problem in 18 years; no rot. It has those little raised stainless grommets/washers with stainless screws in the middle.

NYBo

Admiral

Our SeaRay came from the factory with the carpet screwed down. It's never caused a problem in 18 years; no rot. It has those little raised stainless grommets/washers with stainless screws in the middle.
It all depends on the construction of the sole. If it's fiberglass-coated plywood, screwing it down would be a very bad idea, especially if one planned to remove it after trips. The screw holes would penetrate the plywood, giving an open invitation to rot (would someone really properly seal each screw each time he/she reinstalled them?). However, I doubt the OP's boat has any plywood in the sole, so screwing it down wouldn't be a major problem, except for the issue of the screw holes enlarging. Threaded inserts of some sort with machine screws would be the way to go, IMO.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

From an upholsterer:

Take the carpet to an upholstery shop. They can stitch a piece of leather or heavy material to the carpet and reapply nickel snaps.

Screwing the carpet down causes more problems than it's worth if you keep running the screws in and out. Besides, taking 25 screws out after each boating trip is going to get old very quickly.