motor starts in gear!!

jackass

Recruit
Greetings...Im new here and new to boating. I bought a used 14 ft aluminum Starcraft that was converted to a center console. It has a 1985 evinrude 30 hp. The throttle/ shift cables need to be replaced. My problem is the warm-up lever pops up when I throttle down causing an uncontrolled reving of rpm's also the engine can start in gear when it is not suppose to be able to. Is it possible I need a new control box or are these problems brought about by worn cables? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: motor starts in gear!!

the neutral safety switch is a control box issue, it's a momentary switch in line with the 12V feed from keyswitch to starter solenoid. faulty switch, or it got knocked out of position, or maybe even a prior owner might have disabled it.

the warm-up lever popping up on its own, it's possible that something in the control box is binding, but that is an indication that the cable adjustment is too tight at the powerhead. Note that adjusting the cable can affect other settings.

You really should have a service manual, and I highly recommend the factory manual. Pay for itself many times over.

jackass

Recruit
Re: motor starts in gear!!

Thanks for the reply, I am going to replace the cables on Monday and try to adjust them on my own, and I agree, I will be getting a service manual.