Volvo I/O cutting out at higher rpm's

HawaiianHooker

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I Have a Striper with a Volvo Penta 5.7L Gsi that started cutting out at higher rpm's (3k+) just a little at first but has gotten worse the last few times out. The higher the rpm's the more it seems to be cutting out now.

The boat does not sit for long so the fuel could not have gone stale.

I've also replaced the fuel/water seperator and did not see any water in there.

Seems a little like dirty injectors??

I heard it could also have an ECM? and possibly not getting enough voltage? The manual recommends starting batteries and I have two deep cycles. I'll put a starting battery in to find out but was wondering if any one else had other ideas or experienced the same?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

HH

superbenk

Commander
Re: Volvo I/O cutting out at higher rpm's

Just fixed a very similar problem by replacing the anti-siphon valve at the tank. Could also be forming a vacuum in the tank.

HawaiianHooker

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Benjamin,

Was you issue constant? Mine seems to be intermittent almost like it's only firing on 7 of the 8 cylinders at times..

--HH

Just fixed a very similar problem by replacing the anti-siphon valve at the tank. Could also be forming a vacuum in the tank.

superbenk

Commander

No, it wasn't constant (at least at first). It'd run great anywhere from 30 seconds on up to 5-10 minutes before starting to bog sometimes. Then it would limp along running really horribly until I turned the motor off for a bit and tried again. It was pretty hit or miss.

I also checked & tuned the dwell & timing which seemed to help some as well. I think I was dealing with a number of issues, but the most dramatic change came when removing the anti-siphon valve & putting the straight-through air compressor fitting on. New A/S valve has been ordered and should arrive soon.

Also note that I never seemed to develop a problem in the driveway (not under load) or at idle speeds (initially).

Skybreeze

Seaman Apprentice

Could be the rotor. I have just fixed the same problem. Have a read of my post (volvo penta 431a surge problems) today as to what I thought and eventually found. My issues only occured under load (above 3000rpm). Surged like crazy and really felt like fuel but it wasn't. It ran fine on all cylinders untill under load. With a timing light on it we took it up to the point that it started surging and one cylinder dropped out.