1983 Sea Sprite Continental Restoration in progress

Degus

Recruit
Hello iboaters,

since a few months I have been reading this forum and already got a lot of helpful information about boats, materials and restoration. This is my first boat and also my first boat restoration. So everything is new to me and I hope you guys can help me with your expertise.

Everything began in April when I talked to a co-worker and somehow the subject boat came up. He mentioned that his step son has a boat sitting somewhere since 1,5 years and that the engine needs to be replaced. For a price of 250 bucks including the trailer. I thought WOW that sounds like a good deal and being a car mechanic replacing or rebuilding an engine can't be that difficult. When I got home I talked to my wife and she was ok with getting this boat. Finally on a sunday I got the chance to see that boat. I liked the style of it and was inspecting it a little bit. I noticed a crack in the keel and also the rotten deck. I thought that will be a minor fiberglass repair, some woodworking and the engine repair. I towed the boat home and my wife was impressed when she saw us coming, but after a closer look at it, she only said "Oh I guess you have a project for the summer". After I parked it next to the garage I started to gather more infomation about it. I found this forum and also ordered a repair manual for the engine.

2 weeks later I began to inspect the wiring because I wanted to know what the engine is doing so I could plan what to do next. I made sure everything is connected, installed a new ignition switch, put my car battery in and started...nothing happened. A few hits with the hammer on the starter and the engine was cranking. But my compression tester showed only 30 psi on cylinder 1. So next on my plan was to pull the engine and to take it apart to see whats going on.

I uploaded pictures of my progress for you guys to take a look and provide me with information and comments:

http://picasaweb.google.com/degus71/RestorationOfA1983SeaSpriteContinental?feat=directlink

After I pulled the engine out and took it apart I had an overview and I decided to rebuild the engine as good as I can at home in the garage. I went to the local west marine store and they had to special order all the engine parts which took 3 weeks. Finally I got the call that my parts came in and I was excited to get them. I came home and wanted to get started with the engine but when I unpacked the main bearings I was shocked. I received a pack of 5 plain shells and only 3 with oil groove. But I needed 4 of each. So I could not even start working, instead I called west marine and described what happened - Another time of waiting. I decided to start working on the boat. Still with the thought just to replace the deck.

I took a closer look and noticed that I can take the cap of the bottom which would be necessary to remove the deck. Once I had the cap removed I ripped the first floor board out and was shocked after I saw all this rotten wood underneath. I guess you guys saw that already coming. Now I was disappointed and frustrated. The next day I was driving around to find a boat junkyard to dump that boat, but couldn't find one. Also my attempt to return the engine parts was not successful because that lady who took care of my order was off that day. So I went home and was not in a good mood. My wife of course noticed that and encouraged me to continue working on the boat. Good thing she did, later in the afternoon I received a package from Sierra with a complete set of main bearings :) Now I am working on the hull and the engine.

I want to tell you my idea what I am planning to do with hull, I hope you guys can give me an advice if that is the right way to do or not.

1. Since the hull is laying upside down I thought about repairing the crack in the keel from inside and outside and paint the boat complete white?

2. After I repaired the crack with a few layers of mat and cloth what should I put on next to get a nice finish?

3. What kind of paint can I use?

After the outside is done I want to put the boat back on the trailer and start replacing the transom and the stringers, one side at a time and later the deck and the cap.

Does this plan sound ok ? I know I will have more questions, but I will thank you in advance for your input.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 Sea Sprite Continental Restoration

You sir, do not screw around. Thus far your demo work has been textbook iboats 'glass boat repair. Nice work. I am not a glass guy so cannot comment on that stuff. I would paint it white with a band of color as it is now. It's a nice looking boat for sure and will be very nice when you're done with it and you will have built it yourself.

Degus

Recruit

Thanks ez for the nice words. I was hoping somebody else would respond to my questions because now the crack on the keel is fixed with a few layers of mat and cloth and I want to give it a new finish (I don't like this tan color).

I tried to spray paint gelcoat but that is too difficult to spray and doesn't come out as good as I wanted it to be. I am a bit on a budget and multiple coats of gelcoat seem to be too expensive.

What is the best alternative to give the boat a complete shiny white look? Can I use top side paint all over the boat or do I really need to use this anti fouling bottom paint for the bottom and top side for the top?

Donnyp

Recruit
Re: 1983 Sea Sprite Continental Restoration in progress

Hi,

I own a '85 Sea Sprite Continental mark II. I'd love to replace the seats on either side of the engine cowling but, as I'm sure you know, the seat backs are part of the flip-up cover that shields the bilge blower and tilt/trim pump. If you find seats that aew this type, could you please let me know where you get them? I haven't been able to find them anywhere and Sea Sprite is long out of business. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, and good luck with your restoration.
Don