Thoughts on the Garmin 76CSx for a newbie.

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Thoughts on the Garmin 76CSx for a newbie.

That is what I use along with the Inland Lakes DVD. It works very well, but I do with the screen were a bit larger. I went with this one because it was the only portable GPS that floated, although I doubt it would float with my Ram mounting bracket attached.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

So overall you like it and is good in the lake. Has the electronic compass and speedo. Anything you with it had that it doesn't. Thanks for the feedback.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

So overall you like it and is good in the lake. Has the electronic compass and speedo. Anything you with it had that it doesn't. Thanks for the feedback.

Hey Spike, hope you've been enjoying your new boat! I can't speak for our lakes because I've never dipped my boat in them. For the bay, you may want something with a larger screen. I keep mine zoomed out most of the time where I can see at least almost all of the south Jersey land line From Cliffwood Beach to Sandy Hook when I'm moving. Once I get near to one of my waypoints I start zooming in to really get on top of the spot. With a really small display like that, you may have a tough time zooming in and out on the bay. You might want to see if you can find something used if cost is an issue (it always is for me haha).

If you're not really using it so much for waypoints, but rather just as an assurance to know where you are then I think the 76CSx would be fine. You'll find that you get to know the area quite well without referencing the GPS after just a few trips. The Jersey side of the Raritan has so many easily recognizable landmarks to keep your bearings. The Earl Ammo Pier, Keansburg Amusement park and pier, Keyport Sailboat Moorings, Cliffwood rock wall, etc.. If you are looking to set up some waypoints for good fishing spots and need some tips, send me a PM and I can help. :D

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Andy. Sent you a PM.

If anybody has any additional advise please post it up. You guys are a wealth of knowledge.

BuckyBadger

Seaman Apprentice

I've had the 76CSx for a little over a year now and have been pretty impressed. As far as the portable units go I wouldn't consider this one entry level. It has the color screen and has far more features than most of the portables I compared it against while shopping for mine. It was not the most expensive unit out there but my decision came to it offered the most bang for the buck.

As has been said before, the one limiting factor is the screen size, but you are going to have that with all the handhelds. It works great for my environment (Mississippi River) but I can definitely see this being problematic for other applications.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had the 76CSx for a little over a year now and have been pretty impressed. As far as the portable units go I wouldn't consider this one entry level. It has the color screen and has far more features than most of the portables I compared it against while shopping for mine. It was not the most expensive unit out there but my decision came to it offered the most bang for the buck.

As has been said before, the one limiting factor is the screen size, but you are going to have that with all the handhelds. It works great for my environment (Mississippi River) but I can definitely see this being problematic for other applications.

Thanks for the review.

NYBo

Admiral

Unless you have other uses for a handheld, I would get a permanent mount unit with a much larger screen for that price.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unless you have other uses for a handheld, I would get a permanent mount unit with a much larger screen for that price.

Like what? Suggestions would be great. THanks.

NYBo

Admiral

Just a couple of clicks away from your link:
Garmin GPSMAP 421/421s
Lots more real estate on the screen.

For a bit more money, you can get the version with fishfinder right here at iboats:
Garmin GPSMAP 421s