1960 40HP Throttle Linkage

tbroadlick

Recruit
The stop collar on the throttle linkage broke and I replaced it but not sure of where on rod it should be. If I position it so the throttle butterfly is wide open at WOT it doesn't close down at slow speeds. If I position it so the butterfly is closed at slow, it barely opens at WOT and the motor bogs down. What is the correct position?

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1960 40HP Throttle Linkage

PM me your email addy, I have a pdf that explains how to do it.

tbroadlick

Recruit
Re: 1960 40HP Throttle Linkage

bktheking sent some great intructions on how to syncronize the linkage. The instructions said to rotate the armature plate until the arm contacts the stop. I could see where the arm had been contacting the stop previously by the wear marks. However, I could not get the arm to move any closer than 1 1/2" from the stop. The shifter lock stop would hit and prevent the armature plate from rotating any further. I am trying to rotate the plate itself, not the speed control lever. I even disconnected the linkage from the speed contol lever to the armature plate to see if that was the problem but still can't get it to rotate into place. Any ideas?

Here's a followup in case anyone else has the same issue; I couldn't get the shifter lock lever to move, regardless what gear it was in, so it was stopping the flywheel and armature arm from rotating. All I had to do was spin the prop and then the shifter lock lever would move out of the way when in gear. From there the flywheel rotated all the way around to allow the armature arm to hit the stop point and I could syncronize the linkage.